Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats immune to poison?  (Read 5545 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Rats immune to poison?
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:38:18 pm »
I noticed a lot of rat holes in thge run. I have been baiting for around 2 weeks and they just keep taking the bait. When I went to buy some more I got two different types with different active ingredients. Could they be immune to the bait. what should I do?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Rats immune to poison?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:58:32 pm »
Problem is now that you have put poison down you cannot just get a terrier in to do the job....

they might need a lot of poison, if there's a lot. Hopefully you haven't got a barn owl round...

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »
Try a spring loaded humane trap and bait it with peanut butter. When you have caught one drown it by putting the whole cage in a bucket of water. Make sure you hold it with pliers for the sake of your fingers.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »
The rats here ate there way into 2 buckets of poison and ate the lot and I still have rats. The guys next door don't seem to keep there animal food in containers so it maybe that that is attracting them as all my food is in sealed containers

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:19:11 pm »
At a previous house we had a problem with mice that had been brought in by the cats and released getting between the ground floor ceiling and the upstairs floor. You could hear them running around at night.

I lifted one of the floorboards upstairs and put down poisoned bait (good make, from the gardening shop) but it made no difference. I even put a night-vision webcam down there and could see the mice eating the poison but it had no noticeable effect.

In the end I bought some traditional mousetraps from Ebay and baited them with chocolate, which worked a treat and sorted the problem.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »
when we started with pigs we had the first year rat free then they descended  from the nursing home next door(they had geese and feed them on the kitchen waste) some nights we were catching 8 at a time plug one end of a drain go inside count them down the pipe flood it and drown them we also shot them flattened them burned them but never used poison  to many owls in the area
some times they nest in one place and feed somewhere else

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:49 am »
lillian can you explain the drain thing again please

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:25 am »
the drain was comming out from a byre      that was one access point the other being the door       we went round the back of the byre inserted a 4 inch drain plug      then into the byre blocking the door with a sheet of plywood     the only escape they have is down the drainwhere they think it is safe turn the water on and with foot at end of drain the water builds up inside the drain at this point you will feel them trying to escape(o no i can get out that way it must be down the other end) after a few attempts all efforts to escape will stop a few more minutes just to be on the safe side then outside to remove the bung and count the bodies  simple

bsadevon

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Plymouth Hooe
    • http://www.pro-skipper.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:58:05 pm »
Have you thought of finding an airgunner quiet and selective - locally most would jump at the opportunity for some ratting - just make sure they have insurance.

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 11:05:29 am »
we have dogs so rat poison is not a good option for us, we have a grain barn behind our house and 3 years ago the local farmer started having problems with rats, he got a couple of cats, they sleep in the barn, i have only seen 2 rats since then and 1 of them was the local MP.
the cats are doing a great job.
kn

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 11:35:46 am »
 :) :D ;D :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS