Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: EID tagging  (Read 3439 times)

Whistlin

• Joined May 2009
EID tagging
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:19:22 pm »
I wonder if someone could help.

I'm trying to work out what numbers/letters go on the ear tags. I'm based in Scotland with Ryelands. If we assume I've got a UK flock number of 987654, and a Ryeland flock number of 01234, and these will be the first lambs: am I right (or, more probably wildly wrong) in thinking that each tag should include both the UK flock number as well as the Ryeland designation of 01234/P001?

Can't work out whether it all goes on, or just the Ryeland bit.

Many thanks in advance.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: EID tagging
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:05:35 pm »
You must have your UK flock no and a number for your sheep i.e 001. You must also have either on the tag or another tag your Ryeland Flock no: and the year letter and number.
If unclear email Dot Tyne the secretary of the flock book society and she will put you right as depending what lambs you have dictates how they are tagged, i.e white, coloured or coloured from two white parents.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Whistlin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »
Thanks kaz, very much appreciated. I was going to try to avoid further trying Dot's immeasurable patience:-)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:03:23 pm »
Does that mean Ryelands need a total of three tags???!!! Are their ears big enough?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:27:37 pm »
Some Ryeland breeders do put three tags in. I purchased two lambs last year at the show & sale and one of those has three tags in. It depends what tagging company people purchase their tags from as to what can be printed on them therefore they end up basically with the third tag being what the tagging company call a management tag.
Therefore of course their ears are big enough for three or more tags.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

waterhouse

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:10:08 pm »
It's a problem as long as sheep only have two ears, particularly for those of us with small-eared sheep.  Fortunately the Dartmoor Sheep Breeders Association is so mired that my 2008 ewes don't yet have them. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS