Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SHOCK LAMB!!  (Read 6247 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
SHOCK LAMB!!
« on: January 16, 2011, 04:32:35 pm »
Had a phone call whilst having a very rare lunch to say there was a LAMB in my field.  :o Ewes not due to lamb until 1st week of April.  But sure enough, one of my ewes has had a lovely robust little ram lamb.  I thought she was looking a bit fat and thought it was me overfeeding!!  How did this happen so early??  Well, must have left my last ram lambs in the field with their mums too long I think.  Have to make sure none of the others are due to drop now too.  Still, its lovely to have a new arrival.  Stops me feeling too left out when I read about everyone else's when were not due to have any for another two and a half months!   :D

waterhouse

Re: SHOCK LAMB!!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:15:16 pm »
No worrying, no intervention, just a healthy lamb. Congratulations!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:29:52 pm »
oops ;D well done mum  :sheep:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:11:53 pm »
Congratulations!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:01:08 pm »
Do you know when you took out the last ram lambs? if no more lambs by that date + in-lamb time.... But this little one will not have had a Heptavac booster? I would possibly worry, and make sure he gets the full course as soon as possible (it may actually fit in with the ewes' booster!)

Anyway, congratulations, if only all the lambings would go that easy.....

acorn zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:20:26 pm »
Snap, same thing here last week. have come to the same conclusion ram lambs left to long.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:13:38 am »
ohh fantastic

I wish my first had gone that smoothly, do you think you will have any others

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:24:35 am »
i found a baby rabbit in my pregnant does nest a week before she was due, and it was a few moments before i realised it had escaped from the neighbouring mums run.  ;D ;D that was a slight shock too   ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:59:17 am »
It's a wonder she didn't kill it, PP! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:15 am »
Looks like another one, possibly two due to go today (groan!!).  Not sure about the second one because I can't get hold of her but she looks very wet and dirty around the rear end so waters could have gone.   Have just have to call OH out of work to help me move them to the field next to the house - they are on rented land three miles away at the moment.  At least its not raining now but there's mud everywhere.  Really must get my timing right when I move the lambs out next time.   ::)  I note I'm not on my own there!!!  :D

Anke, yes, you're right, I'll have to get the Heptavac organised, although I've not quite got my head around that one yet.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:46:19 pm »
Hi Morri2.  Can you remember what age your ram lambs were when you separated them from the ewes?  I always suggest that 4 months is about right, but it would be interesting to have some evidence, at least as to when is too late  ;D  Hope you get them home and settled ok.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:21:23 pm »
Hi! Fleecewife, they were five months or so and were mounting the ewes, which alerted us to the fact they had to be moved - quick!!  Obviously not quick enough though - another little ewe lamb arrived earlier today, managed to get hold of OH via the people he was working for who kindly lent him their stock trailer as ours was stuck in the mud, so we managed to get the two of the 'suspect' ewes home.  Don't think the second one is due to go though - looks like she just has a dirty rear end.  Hope that's it now, until lambing proper, in April.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 09:25:02 pm »
I guess this also depends on the breed of sheep you keep, my shetland ewes did not come into season until well in November, they were the last ones to be tupped. The txl crosses were all done early in November.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:40:56 pm »
Yes, we started with Jacobs and that is when we decided on 4 months - keen little devils they were  :o  We haven't had any problems so far with the primitives - sometimes the first born tup lambs can be nearly 5 months when we take them out, but I always worry there will be consequences  ;D After your experiences Morri2 I will make sure they all come out at 4 months. Still, lambs - how lovely !!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 10:53:15 am »
It's a wonder she didn't kill it, PP! ::)

i know. but she had it all cosied up in the hay, and was rather suprised herself, she had an expression on her face like - "its nothing to do with me!!"

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS