Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stocking density for laying hens?  (Read 8465 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Stocking density for laying hens?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 07:44:24 pm »
15 acres  :love:  :love:

i would die for that, I'm stuck with a small garden & a huge passion for hen keeping.

So long as the birds are happy & healthy thats the main thing. 

NES - you could easily have 50+ on 15 acres, though don't expect a massive, if any profit. i make a loss on egg sales, what matters is you enjoy what you are doing

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:57:49 pm »
i was not having a dig. it really does not matter were you are unless is purely an hobby the cost of producing will out weigh any income. unless you have a very cheap feed supply then it really does not matter were you are. we pay £7.50 PER BAG or £330 per ton. we use about 20kg per day and roughly 5 kg of flaked maise so another £2 or so.

if your going for 50 plus birds and intend to sell then you will need to be registered with the egg marketing folks and with enviroment health. the may be bothered if you keep the birds in runs and then claim that they are free range.

if your keen to do it good luck but its a lot harder than you think to make a profit. we are paying 66 quid a week on food and making roughly 20-30.

possibly the best option is to get various coloured egg layers and try and make a premium. we charge £1.20 per 6 to the shop they sell them at 170. there is a limit that people will pay for a few eggs.
anyway good luck. don't forget you will also need to cull out your flock and factor in the replacement costs every 18-24 months. and your boxs and labels and other paperwork. then you will need a candler and scales.

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:30 am »
It might be easier to make a profit if you add value to your produce  (e.g. egg mayo or pickled eggs) but trying to make a profit selling eggs on their own is like peeing into the wind & missing yer boots, especially with the feed prices.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 10:56:27 am »
I was just going to say that! Also dont forget to factor in the produce you never have to buy again such as
Lemon Curd, Mayonaisse, sandwich fillings, Scotch eggs, custard, quiches all that baking etc etc etc.
One strict rule we have on our croft is that if it does not pay for itself get shut,  we dont run a charity, everything must earn its keep.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:34 pm »
yup thats why we are reducing the numbers back to around 6 layers and the other pure breeds. may think about increasing the turkeys instead.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 11:35:19 pm »
point taken shetland Paul, the feed costs are very high although Ive been quoted nearer £200 ton from someone who buys in bulk and sells it on.  But you are right in what you are saying, I will probably look at getting a lot less and sell the eggs locally and see how it goes.  Thanks for the advice.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 08:00:30 am »
hi
we have 15 birds and get on average 10-12 a day (they seem to moult at differing times so egg production stays the same. we sell to family and friends in the village and at work and they always go. In fact could probably sell more but just my luck they'll stop buying if we got more!!!!!!!!
we make enough to cover feed and extras but only start breaking even after 5 months if including the cost of the birds...... we don't mind that because we think of them as working pets.....(emphasis on working :) )
Mx

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »
In fact could probably sell more but just my luck they'll stop buying if we got more!!!!!!!!

yes, I found that!!   ;)
no,it just takes a while to settle out, as you said. 
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS