Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dehydrator  (Read 3666 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Dehydrator
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:39:11 pm »
Have just bought a dehydrator, has anyone used these before and any tips??

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:11 pm »
Yes I have had one for a couple of years.  My only tip is to fill it right up every time to save eletricity!   Have done dried tomatoes and then put them in oil, dried apples, pears, papaya, pineapples (when they were really cheap - that goes in my home made granola - yummy!) and also this year I dried rose hips for rosehip tea during the year.  Also made jerky with beef and turkey.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:23:35 am »
I'm a great fan of the Weston A Price Foundation, who recommend soaking nuts and seeds and then drying them - the taste is totally changed and all the bitterness gone.  (it gets rid of the phytates)

I also dry nettles for adding to soups and stews, and for making nettle tea during the winter.  Also great for drying herbs.

I couldn't do with my dehydrator and have just bought a new, bigger one, which I haven't tried yet.

I add the nuts and seeds to cakes, biscuits, dark chocolate; I tell myself the healthy nuts cancel out the sugar !

oh - and I also dry seaweed, too.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:08:18 pm »
Nettles!  fantastic!  I am de- nettling tomorrow and some will definitely go in the dehydrator.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS