Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curing hides?  (Read 4015 times)

Sonia in Cornwall

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Meet Blue - our little bundle of chaos
    • Going Stress Free - our personal mission
Curing hides?
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:32:07 pm »
Hi

The land we've got is overrun with rabbits, which we'll obviously have fun sorting out!  While I have a whole load of gorgeous looking rabbit recipes to make use of now  :yum: I was also wondering about curing the hides as rabbit fur is very soft.  It seems a shame to waste them when we're eating the meat anyway. 

Does anyone else do this already?  Can I use standard hide curing recipes that I find on the internet, or do I need something more gentle for rabbit skin?  And once it's cured does it sew just like leather?  (I have visions of a rabbit fur rug on the floor in front of the rayburn!)  Any tips from people who've tried would be welcome. 
"Often people attempt to live life backwards - they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, to be happier.  The way it really works is in reverse.  First be who you really are, then do what you need, in order to have what you want."  Margaret Young

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Curing hides?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:03:33 pm »
there are different methods to tan your skins , basically it just depends which one suits you best  really .
 Check out about the time of year you kill the rabbits , as they may be in moult , and the skins would be useless then . The curing is the easiest bit , making them soft is the hard part . That takes elbow grease , you have to work the skins to make them soft . I don't mean the fluffy side , I mean the skin side of the pelt .
It is possible to do at home , and if you have enough rabbits you can make all sorts of things with them .
 I used to make the Russian style hats out of them . I also worked in a skin and hide place , just salting them as they came from the abattoir , ready for delivery to the tanners etc.
I made sheepskin coats, and shoes and boots out of cow hide leather, that I 'borrowed' from work  . So it is all possible to do at home  , it is just s dirty smelly job at times . I can't remember the mix I used now ( it is 30 odd years ago !!) , but there are loads of web sites explaining the different methods  .
 Oh and yes it does sew like leather ( with fur on !!) .

cheers

Russ

bsadevon

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Plymouth Hooe
    • http://www.pro-skipper.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:03:34 pm »
Hey am new to this site - just came across this post, I know it's a long time ago but how did the rabbit tanning go. Have just bought myself a real rabbit fur hat and i love it. Wold love to make myself one.

Happy New Year

Tim

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 09:24:31 pm »
I can give you another market - wrap bits of fur round tennis balls and sell them to gun dog folk as training aids, you can sew them onto canvas dummies as well.  I buy the rabbit skin balls for £3.50 each, an ordinary canvas dummy is about £3.50 too and with the skin properly sewn on would sell for £5 to £7.  Try them on Ebay.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:02:07 pm »
thats good idea!  ;D :D :bunny:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS