Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Washing dipped sheep fleece by hand?  (Read 2740 times)

beffknee

• Joined Jan 2011
Washing dipped sheep fleece by hand?
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:37:39 pm »
Hello there,

I was hoping someone might have some advice.

I was recently staying by a farm and took some fleeces off the farmer (who informed me that otherwise he would normally burn them, criminal). After that I was told that he dips his sheep 3-4times a year. My plan was to wash the fleeces by hand (which there is much information about on the internet) and weave the wool into floor rugs. My concern is, though, whatever he dipped them in. I have no information about what it was or how long ago and, as someone pointed out to me, chemical companies probably put a lot of effort into making sure that these chemicals aren't detered by the wet.

Does anyone know if it too (like the lanolin) will be removed by washing with detergent? Will it be harmful to my skin working without gloves after i've washed it?

Any comments much appreciated.
Night night.
Beffknee.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Washing dipped sheep fleece by hand?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:26:56 am »
If the sheep were genuinely dipped, then the agent used would probably be an organophosphate, as far as I know - I wouldn't touch the fleece with a bargepole.  Most sheep rearers nowadays use pour-ons which are easier to use and not so dangerous.  To dip, the operator must be licensed to do so, and have approval for the disposal of any unused dip solution. Pour-ons can be used by anyone.
The advice given by the British Coloured Sheep Breeders Association is not to handle fleece within three months of dipping / use of pour-ons.  There are a number of reasons for this, including your own health (you will be in contact with the wool for far longer than just during washing as making the rug will take months) plus the fact that there are rules about the disposal of scouring water for the sake of the environment.
Your best bet would be to contact the farmer concerned and ask him what products he uses on the fleece and when it was last applied before shearing. OPs are too dangerous to rely on guesswork as to whether they have been used or not, and even pyrethroids which are used in some pour-ons are not something you would want to breathe in.
However, I feel I must get on my favourite bandwagon now...buying or blagging just any old fleece from just any old farmer is going to lead, in just about every case, with you getting a very second or third rate fleece.  If he was going to be burning the fleeces, then he will not have taken any care over their production, shearing or storage.  To get a fleece which is worth spending your time and skill on, source through reputable producers - the BCSBA (above) has a long list of breeders who take care to produce top quality fleece from a wide variety of breeds suitable for craft work.  If you are going to be working on a project for several weeks or months, it's worth getting decent raw materials. I understand the appeal of rescuing something which would otherwise be wasted, and I agree that it is a terrible waste to burn good wool, but it's not worth your health to do so unless you can check with the farmer just what he used.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Washing dipped sheep fleece by hand?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:02:04 pm »
Be VERY careful as fleecewife said....I would leave them for at least 3-6 months if you have no idea what he dipped with. Wear protective clothing and goggles and the most important thing....do not discharge it down the drain, dispose of all washing and rinsing water on dry land away from a water course.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS