Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RWAS Smallholder and Garden Traditional Rare & Native Cattle Breeds competition  (Read 12637 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
This may be of interest to cattle keepers in the area:

Traditional Rare & Native Cattle Breeds competition

Re: - 2011 Royal Welsh Smallholder and Garden Festival- 21st & 22nd May

I have pleasure in writing to you with the news that the Festival Livestock & Organising Committees have agreed to arrange an exciting new Traditional Rare & Native Cattle Breeds competition at the next Royal Welsh Smallholder and Garden Festival in May 2011. I would be grateful if you could 'spread this news' to all your members asap for their information and hopefully, with a view to their attendance at the event.

This new section will be located in the Carmarthen/Dyfed building with inside judging ring and will have the following classification in 2011 :¬
~ Bull any age
~ Cow or Heifer with Calf at Foot
~ Cow or Heifer in Calf
~ Maiden Heifer
~ Supreme Individual Championship

The above classes will be open to the following breeds only:¬
Ancient Cattle of Wales, Beef ShOt1horn, Belted Galloway, Blue Albion, British White, Dairy Shorthorn, Devon, Dexter, Galloway, Gloucester, Guernsey, Traditional Herefords, Traditional Aberdeen Angus, Highland, Irish Moiled, Jersey, Lincoln Red, Longhorn, Luing, Murray Grey, Northern Dairy ShOt1horn, Red Poll, Shetland, Sussex, White Park, Whitebred Shorthorn, Welsh Blacks.

If three or more cattle of anyone breed are entered in all classes scheduled, it is likely that breed will have the right to their own section and breed judge once all entries are received.

Entry Fee will be £10 inc V A T per entry with no stall fee. Prize money per class will be:¬
I st - £30, 2nd  -£20, 3'rd - £10, 4th - £5. The usual Festival prize cards & rosettes will be given down to sixth place. Extra Championship Prize Money will also be given. All cattle must be halter led and competitors will have to comply with current TB regulations.

Please further note that, along with this new classification, the Society is also hoping to organise milking & foot trimming demonstrations in the ring when judging is not taking place. There will also be a parade & commentary of the various breeds in the Festival Main Ring on the Sunday morning at 11.00am. The usual Breed Society Stand Competition will again be arranged and located near the new Cattle Competition, kindly sponsored by PONT.

Further details of this new cattle competition will be printed in the Society's Official Festival Livestock Schedule, which will be available in February 2011. Any interested competitors should contact the Society on either 01982 554408 or e-mail rhian@rwas.co.uk for a schedule & entry forms.

We do hope you will encourage all your members to support and enter this new competition which we hope will expand and develop the Festival in particular the cattle section. Please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Rhian if you have any queries in the meantime.

We thank you in anticipation of receiving your usual support.

top print
tel: 01982 553683 email: requests@rwas.co.uk

* Home
    * About us
    * Website map
    * Contact us
    * Cymraeg

Font Size 1 | 2 | 3

robert waddell

it suppries me that they have included luing in there but it depends who compiled the list

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
it suppries me that they have included luing in there but it depends who compiled the list

Why?

robert waddell

luing are  a relatively new breed of cattle pioneered by the cadzow family by crossbreding in 1947 and officially recognised as a breed in 1965

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
They are a cross between two very old breeds though, aren't they? They are a cross between two very old British breeds, the Highland and the Beef Shorthorn, and the breed was developed in Britain. I think there's a good case for including them.

I don't think there will be any Shetlands there. There are breeders in Wales but they don't join SCBA.

robert waddell

yes they are a cross that was why i posted
anybody want to make a name for themselves could go down the same road

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
They are now recognised as a breed now and have been since the 1965. I suppose many breeds started in much the same way.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
I suppose many breeds started in much the same way.

All the modern breeds are devloped from crosses of the older breeds.

How many of you know that Suffolks came about by crossing a southdown with a Norfolk Horn.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Oh I wish I still had my Shetlands. I had them up until approx 4 years ago, 2 heifers one red & white and Mum black & white and a bull all registered.I know there was some contention with the breeders in Wales with the Shetland Cattle Book, but don't know what.
They are a lovely breed, very docile and very rare.
The rare breeds need to be represented before we lose them.
Well done Rosemary for your work in obtaining the new competion at the RWAS Smallholders & Flower Festival.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
Well done Rosemary for your work in obtaining the new competion at the RWAS Smallholders & Flower Festival.

Wish I could take credit, but I can't. I found the info on the RWAS website and simply repeated it here. It would be great if there were some Shetlands there. I think it's good for the breed if owners joing the SCBA and SCHBS - it's about £30 for both per year, but it does keep you up to date with what's going on with the breed, there's always help and advice available and it allows the organisations to have a better picture of the state of the breed.

I've found the folk I've dealt with in SCBA and SCHBS welcoming, helpful and knowledgeable and would recommend both to owners. You don't have to get involved in the inevitable politics of organisations.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
I think it will be really nice to have a few more cattle at the smallholders. We love this show - it is our annual holiday and we always seem to go with a trailer load of sheep ::)

I hope there will be a good range of breeds and that it won't be too heavily dominated by one breed.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
we always seem to go with a trailer load of sheep ::)

Dan wants to go by train to limit my capacity to bring anything home.  ;D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
where there is a will there is way  ;) i got a lift with a friend in her car, once to go to a horse auction and still managed to come home with a 5 month old welsh colt!!!!!!!!!!!  ::) :wave:

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
murrey grey belong with the continentals not british native breed. murrey grey belongs to australia

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
I am very disappointed with the RWAS as they have pulled the classes for Dexter cattle at the main Royal Welsh Show in July.  The way that they have organised the showing classes at the smallholder show is very unfair with mixed classes.  They have said they will consider putting on individual breed classes if there are enough entrants but as I understand it, there will be no prize money at this stage (I know it is not the winning but the taking part however, premovement TB testing costs and it would be nice to think you might get a little back) until the winners of each class compete against the other breeds for the placings.

As I am taking cattle for the breed stand again this year, I am not permitted to move my cattle off the stand to show them so that's me out.  Look forward to meeting some of you at the show.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS