Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal Health  (Read 6353 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Animal Health
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:32:23 pm »
After 10 years of smallholding and seven years of keeping livestock, we had our first visit from Animal Health today. The chap that came was very helpful, very knowledgeable - had looked at the website and suggested a couple fo changes, which we've made - looked at the stock, the feedstore and had a chat about paperwork, medicines and so on. He seemed happy with the way we were running things here.

Good thing is I now have someone in the Perth office that I've met and who has met me, so I'd be very happy to phone him for advice.

Did get a bit wobbly legs when he arrived - bit like being followed by a police car when you're driving, even if you KNOW you're driving is fine.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Animal Health
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »
did you invite him or was it an annanounced check on you? :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:07:48 pm »
Unannounced - scuppered my plan to pick up straw, so that's rescheduled to Monday  ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:07:37 pm »
I have never had a visit until a few weeks ago.  Thankfully he did ring and gave me two days notice!! I had time to eartag the three youngsters.

Nice man who came.  Picked out three movement forms,  asked to see my copies, and  to see the entries in my register. He was impressed by my record keeping - many years of office work to thank for that!  Asked to see horse trailer,and all their passports.  Only think wrong was lack of paperwork from slaughterhouse for fallen stock.  He looked at the goats, although delined to see the pygmies, when I mentioned the intact billy.

He said it will be 3-5 years before he visits again.

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:32:17 pm »
What's AH's interest in horses?   I thought they were basically unregulated.  And AML1's go to Trading Standards so what is AH for?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
What's AH's interest in horses?   I thought they were basically unregulated.  And AML1's go to Trading Standards so what is AH for?

I don't know but in Scotland, there is a desire by SG to reduce the inspection regime, so one agency may pick up the inspections of another and pass on the information so that farmers have fewer inspections by different agencies.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:53:58 am »
with the animal movement forms trading standards (for your area)is where you post or fax the copy if buyer and seller live within that TS area that is as far as it goes if buyer and seller is from different areas TS send the forms onto SAMU if trading standards has a query  of there own or asked by you they will approach SAMU you can get visits from both unannounced       now the book .if you keep all your forms and fill out a book that is twice the paper work          trading standards are run by the local council and the last time we were talking to our TS officer he was voicing concern over the future of the department and his future

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:20:46 pm »
After 10 years of smallholding and seven years of keeping livestock, we had our first visit from Animal Health today.

You are inspected?  Do you sell a product to the public?  Wow and I thought we were over regulated.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 03:45:41 pm »
we have had three pig checkups. each time we did not have pigs. very helpful folks in both trading standards and animal health.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:33:47 pm »
After 10 years of smallholding and seven years of keeping livestock, we had our first visit from Animal Health today.

You are inspected?  Do you sell a product to the public?  Wow and I thought we were over regulated.

Hi there - it's because Britain is a member of the European Union which has devised endless rules and regulations for every area of life, each of which requires its own inspectors and departments - keeps unemployment figures lower than they might otherwise be  ;D ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:14 pm »
I have had two visits for TB checks and dont keep any cattle. They just said "oh, no need to look then" and drove on to the next stop. You are right about job creation, but you would think they would be smart enough not to make the same mistake twice.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »
You are right about job creation, but you would think they would be smart enough not to make the same mistake twice.

Call me cynical but I've never thought of them as smart  :D :D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 07:57:37 pm »
.....European Union which has devised endless rules and regulations for every area of life.....

Inspections are required for a hobby farm that minds its own business and sells nothing to the public?  UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!

To that I say, "don't tread on me!"

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 08:10:53 pm »
my qustion - are all of you who had a visit registered smallholders?  :&>

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:14:36 pm »
if you have a CPH number you are in for a visit also if you have poultry you are supposed to be on there register as well (maybe once you reach a certain number)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS