Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding fresh cut seaweed  (Read 2904 times)

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
Feeding fresh cut seaweed
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:03:06 am »
Does anyone know whether giving pigs access to freshly cut seaweed could cause any problems ?

My plan would be to feed it for one week periods, with three weeks in between. (due to tides)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Feeding fresh cut seaweed
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:56:12 pm »
seaweed should be washed, dried and shredded before being fed in SMALL quantities along with normal ration. It should only be considered as supplement. We did it with no contraindications.

This might tell you more http://www.thepigsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11016

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »
Thanks - the link was very helpful.  It is intended only as a mineral supplement and will be fed in small quantities.

I do have dried seaweed which I bought in; I thought it would be more beneficial fed fresh, washed and shredded.

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:09:25 am »
we get seaweed off the beach and soak it and dry it, we give it in bunches for our chickens to peck at, especially youngsters that are still inside. wev given it to quails and rabbits aswell. i did put a few bunches out for pigs but dont think they ate it. it mite have to be ground before they would eat it. i was aware that pigs have salt poisoning issues though.
also we bought poultry spice - which appears to be mainly spice powders such as turmeric etc, so i dont think it would be to difficult to make it yourself either.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:19:03 pm »
we get seaweed off the beach and soak it and dry it, we give it in bunches for our chickens to peck at, especially youngsters that are still inside. wev given it to quails and rabbits aswell. i did put a few bunches out for pigs but dont think they ate it. it mite have to be ground before they would eat it. i was aware that pigs have salt poisoning issues though.
also we bought poultry spice - which appears to be mainly spice powders such as turmeric etc, so i dont think it would be to difficult to make it yourself either.

oops - salt might be a problem then, if the seaweed wasn't thoroughly washed; I didn't know that.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS