Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BVD eradication in Scotland  (Read 3457 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
BVD eradication in Scotland
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:41:54 pm »
The Scottish Government has committed to eradicating Bovine Viral Diarrhoea (BVD) from Scotland. A voluntary testing programme is now in operation, backed by Government financial support. The SG plans to make an annual test for BVD compulsory from September 2011 with no financial support.

Our vets have written to us advising us to test asap and before the end of March, so that some of the costs are offset. If BVD is found in your herd, there are further support payments available for further investigation but only if carried out before 31st March 2011.

The SG is planning strict controls of BVD infected animals (PIs). Further information is available at www.scotland.gov.uk/bvd

If you have cattle and are in Scotland, and you haven't done anything about it, it might be time to have a word with your vet.

Our two had blood samples taken last week; we should have the results beginning of next week.

robert waddell

Re: BVD eradication in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 06:08:41 pm »
this is a particularly horrid disease and to see calves dying on there feet is indescribable
the only question i have is why it has taken nearly 20 years to get to this stage
also as it is voluntary just now( when brucellosis was eradicated in the early 60s it was voluntary in the beginning then went compulsory with whole herds wiped out at that time they inoculated against it s1919 tags were used to identify these animals) whole herds will be wiped out
luckily we do not have cattle but i would certainly recommend testing to eradicate this wasting disease

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:35:10 pm »
I know it's off topic (sorry  :-[) but I was in tears last night watching Countryfile :'( :'( :'( Adam's white park cattle tested positive for TB, 2 cows and his bull, you could see the anger, frustration and sadness in his and his father's eyes - it's heartbreaking.
I think any form of organised testing and vaccinating for animal disease should be welcomed and used - if it helps save their lives and the bloodlines of our rare breeds.

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:52:15 pm »
I know it's off topic (sorry  :-[) but I was in tears last night watching Countryfile :'( :'( :'( Adam's white park cattle tested positive for TB, 2 cows and his bull, you could see the anger, frustration and sadness in his and his father's eyes - it's heartbreaking.
I think any form of organised testing and vaccinating for animal disease should be welcomed and used - if it helps save their lives and the bloodlines of our rare breeds.

And the infuriating thing is that they will be slaughtered, then bloodtested to see if they really do have the disease - The likelyhood is they don't, they're just reactors.  My family lost more than 10% of a 120 head suckler herd, and not one of them tested positive following slaughter. 

You would think a better system would be implemented for rare breeds especially... 

And again, sorry - off topic!

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 08:01:47 pm »
nina you have my sympathy we have heard it is bad in wales

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 11:18:38 am »
Thanks - Though they were in Leicestershire!!!  But none of them actually had the disease, confirmed after slaughter...  >:(

It is a concern for us though in Wales as we've just started a small herd of pedigree Devons, and when we're only running a handful of cattle, to lose any would be massive - Especially when they've good bloodlines with years of breeding behind them...  Fingers crossed it won't happen...  :hshoe:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS