Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ideal bedding  (Read 6174 times)

waterhouse

Re: ideal bedding
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 11:21:27 pm »
We use the cross-cut paper shreddings.  I have a lot of confidential papers and it works a treat and rots down nicely. 

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:46 pm »
We use straw for our girls. I was advised against hay because it can harbour parasites.

It can be a bit of a pain to shovel into a sack when you're clearing them out - especially if you're doing it on your own.

We also keep a few pigs so it makes sense to standardise the bedding with the two animals rather than double-up.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 11:29:30 am »
You say from a height so I'm assuming they are perching ok? If so, put a droppings board under the perch which you can easily remove for cleaning. It will catch the poop and therefore keep the floor below much cleaner.

Straw/hay is ok for the nests but keep it dry. Change it regularly. Shavings on the floor helps with the daily muck collected underfoot, but, the birds SHOULD be perching (perches are for sleeping, nests are for eggs) so use a droppings board.

:chook:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 12:25:08 pm »
I found hay was better with absorbing moisture but very dusty, so not good for the birds' lungs.
I can not stop mine from sleeping in the nesting boxes, some of them always huddle in there to keep warm... :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »
Mine all congregate at the back corner of their shed - only two LS will perch, so I have to put bedding down too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 02:00:01 pm »
none of my hens perch, thats why i put a big thick shavings bed down so they can get comfy and cosy

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 10:58:30 pm »
I've ordered up two bales (40kg) of this hemp malarky from my local country supplier to see what it's like! I was never a fan of the shavings... Always got too messy in
rain
and winter.

I'll let you all know how I fair!

:-)

Squire

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 12:25:30 pm »
I have access to unlimited supply of green Oak chippings, I know they have a high Tannin content, does anyone know if they would be suitable for deep litter under my planned elevated coop? :chook:

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 08:03:14 am »
dont know about oak, is it cedar wood that can make u ill? keeps bugs away put gives u flu like symptoms.  :wave: :chook:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 08:16:02 am »
I use a mix of Bliss horse bedding (which is shredded rape straw and very quick to rot ) and straw. My hatched birds perch ex bats don't. Means the nest boxes get filthy unfortunately. We did have covers my hubby made to keep them out but when we got the dreaded mite we burnt them. He keeps threatening to make me some more but out of plastic but nothing yet.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:08 pm »
Would the hemp be ok to use for pigs with straw on top?
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 11:09:06 pm »
I've used bliss with straw on top for minions whilst in farrowing, works great soaks up well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS