Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help getting started  (Read 3233 times)

dizzydexter

• Joined Jan 2011
help getting started
« on: January 23, 2011, 05:06:40 pm »
Hello,

We're thinking of getting a couple of goats, but haven't a clue where to start!

Can they live alongside my young dexters?
I have a lean to that could easily fit both the goats and dexters in, would they happily share? if not what sort of housing would I be looking at for them?

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks Darcy

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: help getting started
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:43:41 pm »
Hmmm- I don't know many people who keep cattle with goats. Certainly it is possible to let them graze the same field. As for the shed, what type of goats are you thinking of? Would you be able to divide the shed into one area for the goats, and one for the dexters? Remember cows are a lot messier (wet poo) than goats naturally are.

Beth

dizzydexter

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:14:02 pm »
That was my next question!
What breed would you recommend for a first timer?

Also the walls are pretty climable I'd say, (although we did have a couple of ewes that didn't break out) so something fairly placid (is there such a thing?)
I could always fence them into a run i guess, depending on how big it would have to be?

As I say I really don't know where to start!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:44:56 pm »
The quieter breeds are generally the British Saanen types, and Golden Guernsey's. The reason I was asking what breed you were thinking of, is I was wondering what purpose you wanted them for. If you wanted milking goats, it would be better to have a seperate shed, and even if you were thinking of breeding them a separate shed would be better. You could start off by getting a couple of castrated males, and they would run ok with the Dexter's.

You could think of Boer's goats- the meat goat. They would run with the cattle, but as I said, if you were to breed them I would advise having someplace separate you could shut them.

The best advice I could give you, is have a read of all the breeds and look at some pictures. http://www.allgoats.com/breeds1.htm And the next best bit of advice- is find someone as local as you can who keeps goats, and go and see them person.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »
I would think keeping cattle and goats together in the same shed is not possible. My goats lie down a lot during the day to chew their cud, with cattle muck about they would always be messy, and if they are milking goats.... Also the size difference would make it quite dangerous, and also if the goats are horned? They get different feed too?

Probably they would be happy to share a paddock, or rotate if separated by electric tape, but I would advise a separate shed for the goats. Also if you already have cattle for milk (I am not sure of Dexters are kept for milk or meat, sorry don't know much about cattle)?, then maybe meat goats would be the best option?

dizzydexter

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:52:51 pm »
OK, Thanks, I'll be able to seperate the lean to into two seperate areas for them.

Also I have some other questions...
I'm wanting to keep goats for meat, so if for example I went with the boer breed, would they find a way of getting into my veg patch, or clamber over the 4ft stone walls keeping them in?
What is the best age to buy and best age for slaughter?
What price should I be expecting to pay?

Thanks

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:02 pm »
Meat goats are still fairly new here- there are only a very few up in Scotland. I think there was someone who joined not that long ago who had Boer's for sale. I'll try and find their posts. I don't know what Boers are like at escaping, but they do look quite well behaved compared to some breeds! But, that doesn't necessarily mean they might not try and escape! I would still advise you try and find someone nearby-ish to chat it through with. Whereabouts are you located?

Beth

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 10:17:49 pm »
Hi,

Here we go- Groovy Alpaca had Boer's for sale http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=11888.0 I couldn't find a website for them though, so I guess you might need to send them a personal message if you were interested in contacting them.

Also noted the British Boer Goat Club http://www.britishboergoatsociety.co.uk/ and they have a page with stock for sale on the site as well.

This breeder's website has a guide to prices http://www.goat-meat.co.uk/livestock%20sales.html

Beth

dizzydexter

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:46:00 pm »
Thanks Beth, thats a great help.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS