Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you doing this month? January  (Read 15524 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
What are you doing this month? January
« on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:00 am »
Hello,

Saw a similar thread in the sheep section, and thought it was a great idea.

So- what are you up to this month with the goats? Are you dosing, vaccinating, getting some goats, selling some...... anything really!

Beth

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: What are you doing this month? January
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:40:04 pm »
I'm eagerly awaiting the birth of my kids! They are due very very soon and I have brought them in to make sure they are all ok!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:25:53 pm »
Delousing (unplanned I have to add) - but done now, I am still itching though.... does Spot-On work for humans????
Planning the feeding schedule for the next two months, first kidding due on March 8th
Had planned to take wether kid to abattoir, but had to re-schedule as he also needed de-lousing...
Trying to get organised for milk recording (but failing)
Making some goat coats

Actually it is quite a quiet month on the goat front (I hope!!!)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:02:19 am »
It's a quiet month for us too. We don't start kidding until the 9th March, so only just starting to think about seperating out the two that are due first, so that their feed can be monitored.

Trying to get some mucking out done before they get too heavily pregnant (switching them around different pens when heavily pregnant can upset them a bit) it's being hampered by it keeping snowing, and I can't get the goats out.
Feet trimming.
Going to fluke and worm last year's female kids this week.
Have one goat who is supposed to be going away this month to a new home- can do a reshuffle round when that happens.

I need to make some goat coats too Anke, also need to think getting organised and copying leaflets for the shows!

Good luck with the kidding Lee- let us know how it goes and what you get! It's an exciting time- you can start dreaming of the kids you might get.

Beth

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:04:09 pm »
my new goats are coming this week   sooo excited !!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:29:09 pm »
ooh, what breed?  (sorry if you've said before!)
and Lee, what are yours?  and how long now?

Our goats need a few shed repairs ... they may have to wait til the weather's better, if we have to take the roof off and start again.
Geraldine looks to be back in kid ... fingers crossed for a girl (but will be so upset to see Max her firstborn go to a new home - we cant keep a wether)
  milk again , woo-hoo!

She needs her feet doing. But HATES it!

and they get more brushing when they cast the winter coat - Gera will stand all day in a trance, but Cesar is more flighty.

Little Blue

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 07:06:09 am »
Don't forget I make goat coats.  Give me the measurements and they/it will be in the post the same day.

Price, including postage is £35.   Will not slip, waterproof and lined with a 200gm polyfill.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:51 am »
Goat shed roof repairs, injections tomorrow, taking them for lots of walks into our other field on the lead and generally hoping it doesn't snow again for a long time!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:11:30 am »
Planning our new goat house which will be an old large chicken house. At present it's got 6" of ten year old dried chicken manure on the floor, perching rails, nest boxes, the lot. It 'should' be fairly easy to board up the nest boxes, remove rails, muck out, disinfect, divide in two- one end for milking and feed, stalls in the other. I hope!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 12:14:59 pm »
Just mucked out the two in-kid females and so have got the 'kids' pen and the male pen to do.     Gotta a new little goat shed too, and so will hopefully move the boy into that sometime this month and then I can swap the others around to make sure the two pregnant girls have the big pens and plenty of room. First one due in March  ;D ;D

Which wormers do people use on their goats?     

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

richmorpygmygoats

• Joined Nov 2010
    • Show Qyality Pygmy Goats
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 12:54:31 pm »
I am also getting ready for my herd of Pygmy Goats to kid! Start w week friday!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Will post photos when they are up and about!

Richard
www.richmorpygmygoats.co.uk
Breeder & Exhibitor of Pygmy Goats
   www.richmorpygmygoats.co.uk

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »
I have a mis-match of breeds. They include Toggenburg, saanen and anglo-nubian. We bred all of them ourselves, except the billys', and use their milk to feed our pet lambs( lambing has started too). They are due any day now!!
We grow on the boys after castration and eat them. We have a small market of people who get it from us as sausages and diced meat, its a very undervalued meat and everyone should try it!

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 08:44:59 pm »
two bagots which are in-kid, il post fotos when they arrive!!  :goat:   :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 08:52:42 pm »
so you got some Bagots, cool!
whats their pedigree?

and yes.. photos please!  :)
Little Blue

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 12:23:04 am »
i've just moved my fellas into their new house. I've got 2 pygmys and 2  AN wethers- 6months old so not too big yet.
I got myself a large double horse box- and have made it into a goat house. I can close it up at nights- and it is well cosy with all the straw. It seems to be rodent proof as its well up off the ground. It is well sheltered as its got the vents up high. I can also tow it about from paddock to paddock and can leqave the small door open for them wwhen i'm not here during the day. Its miles better than the large shipping container that I had them in initally- it must have been cold and draughty and I've seen a long tailed friend in there at the back where my other stuff was stored.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS