Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anybody know which feed is contaminated?  (Read 4955 times)

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
Anybody know which feed is contaminated?
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:10:20 pm »
Today I was looking at improving the pasture grazing for my chickens. Alfalfa and clover is reccomended for grazing rich in omega 3. It is possible to buy seed to set up a herbal ley that is about 65% organic for my sheep. Worth considering when we don't have all the information about what feed is contaminated.

I have no idea where my growers or layers pellets come from apart from Countrywide stores. Has anyone found out what feed is contaminated? I have looked at the FSA information but the source of contamination is not revealed. I have not found a comprehensive lists of contaminated feed products yet. Can you help?

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/

I notice that the video on the dioxin contamination in Germany has been pulled from the BBC website.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

robert waddell

Re: Anybody know which feed is contaminated?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »
as far as i am aware it is only feed of German origin that is contaminated there must be local to you feed manufacturers
 the dioxin was 77times more than permitted amount and it is supposed to be a criminal investigation

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:36:41 pm »
Do we suspect contaminated produce could well include.... poultry, pig meat and products meat joints and derivatives, sausages - Mc Gack, fast food etc , fast sandwiches, quiches, mayonnaise, potentially anything contain egg which may also have been powder processed, cakes, custards, pork pies, and a smorgasborg of others?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:38:31 pm by Bright Raven »
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:53:12 pm »
Do we suspect contaminated produce could well include.... poultry, pig meat and products meat joints and derivatives, sausages - Mc Gack, fast food etc , fast sandwiches, quiches, mayonnaise, potentially anything contain egg which may also have been powder processed, cakes, custards, pork pies, and a smorgasborg of others?
Yes, yes and yes I think are the answers to those questions.  We're all going to go down with Beri Beri any day now.  Joking apart, how on earth can we protect ourselves from all these money grabbing maniacs
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:57:25 am »
its so scary, we are used to reading labels on food for gluten, but now it will be looking for egg as well, definately makes you want to eat as much of your own produce as possible, i think that is the only way to protect yourself

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:08:41 pm »
According to one German article the contaminated fatty acids came from a company called Petrotec and were delivered to a feed producer in Holland, apparently not for the purpose it was then used, only to "treat" some equipment. I could not find the name of the feed producer. it's all really difficult to research as their are so many stages. don't know if any of our feed suppliers get any of their  ingredients from Holland and if they use any fossil oils at all, knowingly or not :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 04:15:40 pm »
just found it - nothing on-line, they must have taken their own website off, so we can't find out who they actually are supplying. The name of the feed producer is Harles and Jentzsh, they said they were using biodiesel waste products for years , so it's all over the food chain  :P :&>

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 12:55:56 pm »
According to this mornings Telegraph " Germany's poisoned egg scare has spread to chickens, turkey and Pork with increased levels of cancer causing Dioxin in meat. the E.U. commission found  a concentration twice as high as the legal level. A commision spakesman said that the meat would not have been harmful in the short term "
Oh well that all right then !!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:28:48 pm »
I have now had a reply from Spillers who assured me that they do not use any ingredients from Harles and Jentsch in Holland for any of their feeds. It's worth emailing your feed producers! :&>

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 10:20:16 pm »
Dose anyone know about the Dodson & Horrell

i have emailed them but ad nothing back
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:24:46 pm by CameronS »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:25 am »
it took spillers a few days to reply, suppose they are quite busy at the moment...  :&>

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:41 am »
Email waiting for me this morning, Dodson & Horrell pass

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:16 am »
"pass" as in they don't know or in safe, Cameron?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 05:32:35 pm »
No they pass as in pass/fail. they assured me that they do not use products from the company Harles and Jentsch .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS