Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hi, I'm in sw scotland  (Read 6593 times)

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
hi, I'm in sw scotland
« on: December 24, 2007, 09:28:42 pm »
Hi all, just joined and thought i'd introduce myself.
Names Mandy, full time worker, part time smallholder if thats the proper name for what my OH do with our 8 acres. generally we like to produce our own meat, both being confirmed carnivores but not too happy with the intensive methods of production, we keep some sheep, poultry, couple of dexter cows the obligetry 2 horses and pony ;D , pigs most years but not last year :( and our menagerie of pets.
interested in starting with ixworth and lf sussex hens for dual purpose eggs meat production (ongoing project)

Mandy

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: hi, I'm in sw scotland
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 10:49:31 am »
Welcome, Mandy. Great to have you join us.

What's an Ixworth?

Rosemary

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 10:50:34 am »
Mandy, do you milk your cows or just use them for beef produstions? I'm really keen to pick someones barins about dual purpose cow keeping...

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 10:37:36 pm »
Hi. Ixworth's are a white duel purpouse hen that i've been reading good things about on the practical poultry forum.
Our first dexter was an old dear halter trained and quiet (sold to a pet home) who my OH used to milk a few liters off in the morning, he enjoyed it but i didnt like the taste....don't know why.
our current cow is her daughter 3 yrs now, who is tameish but not as good as her mum was, he hasnt tried with her yet as this was her first (and unexpected) calf.

mandy

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 10:05:01 am »
Hi and welcome, hope to hear lots from you, I like the look of Dexter cows, however anything with horns or large teeth or in fact bigger than me, tends to bring out my fear factor.  So just dreaming.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 08:33:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

I have just googled the Ixworth's - another new for me, have never heard of them either. It says that they are difficult to keep, so hopefully you will keep us all posted on how you go with them when you get them. One interesting bit was that although they are not so easy to breed, they do tend to produce more females than males so even more interested to hear what you are able to produce since we get so many cockerals from out hens.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:56:09 pm »
Hi Mandy and a warm welcome to you also.  Where abouts are you in the SW area?  Sounds as though you are always on the go, look forward to hearing from you also. Janx

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:50:06 pm »
Hi Mandy

We are in the West of Scotland and just starting out on this new way of life (and loving it!)

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Pebbles

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS