Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED - Cheapish farm/agri quad  (Read 4472 times)

HappyHippy

WANTED - Cheapish farm/agri quad
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »
Just as is says  ;)
Min 250cc, got to have option of 4WD, age and looks not important (will only be used on farm)
As long as it runs and is reliable I don't mind doing a little bit of work to it.
If you're close (ish) to Glasgow and have one taking up space, just let me know. ;D
Okay, so I know it's a long shot and mostly everybody that has one will be using it - but you never know  ;)
Equally if you've got any recommendations (or ones to avoid) I'd be happy to hear them (bearing in mind I don't want to spend a load of cash)
Thanks
Karen x

robert waddell

Re: WANTED - Cheapish farm/agri quad
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:08:46 pm »
how much is not a lot

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:22:35 pm »
I had a Kawasaki, and it would be my first choice again if I ever bought another. It never let me down and never got a puncture.

I moved house and it was that one last thing that wouldn't fit in the removal lorry so I stupidly sold it to the new house owner - and have wished I never had ever since.   :(

Flecktimus

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:36:11 pm »

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 05:44:32 pm »
Lillian, not a lot is ideally under £500 (in my dreams lol!) but might manage to stretch to £700 for a great one  ;)

Flecktimus - wow, I'd no idea that place existed - thanks  ;D Hubby's panicking though, on-line auctions are my forte  ;)

Thanks OhLaLa - I like the Kawasaki's too (I'd LOVE a polaris - but just don't have the budget  :()

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 05:58:04 pm »
 for that money you would be lucky to get a runner     £1800_£2000 will get you a good one
lanark scrap sale is on tomorrow there is always quads there just take a chance
the one we have is almost 20yrs old and worth more than what you are expecting to pay and we have spent a good bit on it

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »
Yup, that's what I thought  :( A bit more saving to do then  ;)
Cheers

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:43:09 pm »
Just down the road from you

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/dalry_tractor.asp

Oh! How random- I know the auctioneer!

Beth

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:16:47 am »
I paid 1700 for mine it's a Honda but needs the steering bushes doing. Watch out with eBay got mine on there and whilst it's ok it's not great for money paid.

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 03:40:29 pm »
some of the cheaper chinese quads are quite good if you dont something that your going to use hard..  quadzilla are great..  i brought one for 500 pounds 3 years ago and still going strong...  really depends how hard a life your going to give it... 

benthegardener

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 12:03:07 am »
Mate bought one I fancied at a farm sale/auction not far from us. £500 for a real old Honda. It had belonged to an older chap who'd used it for checking out his sheep each day on his small holding and little else. Still going very well now probably the best bargain I've ever missed out on.
Worth checking out the farm machinery auctions now and again. Some real bargains there

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 04:27:43 pm »
Yamaha big bear bought on ebay for £600, cost £150 to have it couriered from the Highlands,but a great bargain,goes thro anything,drove across a ploughed field the other day with trailer on,no problem
and believe me our fields are wet  :P don't know how we managed without it,its not a great looker,but if we'd bought a new one it would be in a state by now,we looked for a couple of months for one,guess we were just very lucky to get a real honest seller

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 04:09:18 pm »
We use ancient Polaris diesel ones. But even an L reg (!) one thats a good runner is £1500.
Advantages are they are tough as old boots and diesel engine means they can be fueled from the red diesel, saves money and hassle esp if we cant get off the farm in the snow. Will also start (most of the time) in -20! Disadvantage,they are a lot slower than a petrol quad, so you aint going to round up the sheep or show off doing doughnuts on them! Neither of which bothers me....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS