Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommended hybrid breeds for free ranging?  (Read 7507 times)

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
Re: Recommended hybrid breeds for free ranging?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 06:14:41 pm »
I've seen Silkie pullets for sale between £10 & £30 recently, it all depends on what the breeder thinks they're worth, the genetic line & the age of the birds.

In saying that, the birds are only worth what the customer is prepared to pay.... i certainly wouldn't pay the inflated prices some folk command   :o

I think your question is one that'll never be completely answered, as everyone has their own views on which hybrid is best for free ranging.
Perhaps the best idea, is to see what others come up with, go have a look at some & decide for yourself. What works for me, might not work for you.... if you know what i mean   ;)

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:14 pm »
we have cuckoo marans, they are good free rangers, when they are laying they are great egg producers but just for one season after that we have no luck with them at all. the eggs are a very dark brown colour and taste fab. we have no problem selling them, everyone seems to prefer them dark.
kn

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 07:08:29 am »
i have isa warrens, black rocks, white stars and some young in betweeners.....the blackrocks and white stars are laying well, the isa's are now 2 and have laid spasmodically through this winter, but never missed a day last year.

they free range with their light sussex cockerel companion very successfully. the white stars are always last out and first in bed, the blackrocks always first up and last in.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS