Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to Sheep  (Read 10867 times)

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
New to Sheep
« on: November 15, 2008, 04:16:19 pm »
Hello

We have had our 4 ewes and ewe lamb for 2 weeks now - Suffolks.  They are currently grazing on about half an acre and we are just about to fence off another acre divided into two - so we can rotate three paddocks.  Does anyone know whether sheep eat daffodils as in one of the areas there are many wild ones.  If they do eat them, are they harmful to them - I know they are not good for humans!

rustyme

Re: New to Sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 04:27:26 pm »
hello SN,
            daffs are poisonous to all animals, thats all parts of the plant although the bulb is the most poisonous. They can cause abortion if taken even in relatively small amounts , and death if the bulb is eaten or, enough of the other parts of the plant . Will sheep eat them ? ..I don't know ...I have never seen them do so , but others who keep sheep will soon tell you .  Hope that helps a bit ....

cheers

Russ

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:39:36 pm »
Thanks Russ - you rather confirmed what I had thought.......

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:45:17 pm »
Indeed they are poisonious, but I've never really seen sheep eating them. When we used to have orphan lambs running around the garden they never used to bother them, whereas the goat kids would try and nibble, so maybe you'd be ok.

Beth

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 02:15:16 pm »
Thanks Beth - probably ought to fence that area off rather than risk it.  Bit of a pain though!
Isobel

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS