Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: where can i get a slap marker kit from? and how much?  (Read 10581 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
where can i get a slap marker kit from? and how much?
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:14:36 pm »
hi,where can i buy a slap marker from..i have tags sorted but would like to slap mark my pigs before slaughter aswell having read some horror stories on here about getting the wrong meat back! this will be my first ever pigs going and ive spent a fortune on feeding these slow growing rare breeds!i dont want some commercial fast grown intesive fatty stuff back! any web sites,numbers that sell would be helpful.also prices?
thanks for reading!
'can't rain all the time!'

HappyHippy

Re: where can i get a slap marker kit from? and how much?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:01:10 pm »
Oh there's loads of places!

Supplies for smallholders (they're on here)
Fearing
Ascott

To name but a few ! Try googling 'buy pig slapper' for more.
HTH
Karen x
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:39:47 am by Dan »

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:29 am »
thank you ...... ;D ;D ;D

tdubs

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:34:03 pm »
 :pig:
pigletspenshop.co.uk is where we got our slapmarker kit from..you get all you need and they have fast delivery if your herd numbers are in stock..lovely woman who owns it was full of good advice and very helpful.
x

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:17:19 am »
Come late into this one, but look at :

https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/pig-slapper-inc-character-plate-p-243.html

This is a Commercial standard slapper, manufactured in the UK, as used by most major pig producers, and for just shy of £50.00 I dont think you will find better on the market.

Also look at : https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/food-grade-slapper-ink-black-litre-p-244.html Which is the ONLY food grade slapper ink available, and is being endorsed by cranswick for use in all supermarket pork.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:43:18 pm »
We got the slapper and ink from Supplies for Smallholders (as above). Arrived quickly and was easy to use - though my pigs were not at all impressed so I think I may have slapped them a bit hard......
Tish

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:08:28 pm »
LOL...i know im dreading 'slapping ' them!!!im sure they'll hate me..how long before taking them should i do it and also where abouts on them is it best to do it? :pig: ??? :pig:

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »
Hi,

Slapmarks should be on each shoulder and done when standing behind and to the side of the pig.

Just a firm slap is needed - no need to try and knock the pig across the room - you are trying to just penetrate the skin, not drive the tattoo pins fully home!

Do it as far in advance as you like, or even as you load into the trailer - we aim for a couple of weeks before slaughter if possible, although it doesnt really matter.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS