Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welcome to Beekeeping  (Read 21341 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Welcome to Beekeeping
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »
Ok chaps, if any of you keep or intend to keep bees and have a query, post here and I will try to help you. We need to take care of all our bees.

:bee:

'There are as many beekeeping opinions as there are beekeepers'
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:30:56 am by OhLaLa »

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
Re: Welcome to Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:18 pm »
thinking of buying a beehaus from omlet.
whats your opinion of it as a hive?    :bee:   :bee:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:20 pm »
I've not heard many good reviews myself of the beehaus.
mainly as it isnt all that strong if they make a good weight of honey stores - the lags buckled on the original ones... though they may have made improvements!

Compare the prices to, say, Thornes...  before commiting ;)

ohlala, thankyou.  there will be lots of questions!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that "my girls" have survived the super-cold winter.  I am not a beekeeper yet - only had them since last summer so all the tough stuff to come....
;)
Little Blue

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:46:27 pm »
Sounds great, i got my first hive this year and have been terrified that my money had gone to waste with the winter being so bad. Had a quick peak yesterday and they look great, they are all on one side snuggled up and warm. Should i be feeding them still or do i not bother now?

Thanks Rob.  ;D

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:49:11 pm »
It's not a hive I have personally tried. All my kit has been bought over many years, originally based around Nationals and then Commercials. I also have a few WBC's. My untested opinion is that they are expensive (and a bit of a novelty). As for the bending down aspect, my hives are all on stands, and when the supers are added they get higher anyhow. I like my breathable wooden hives.

I found this comparison review written by a Surrey beekeeper who tried out a beehaus for a while:

http://www.surreybeekeeper.co.uk/2010/08/02/an-omlet-beehaus-or-a-traditional-national-beehive-a-review/

and for those who are new to the beehaus hive:

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/?view=Beehaus&about=Hives%2520Explained
and
http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?cat=Beehaus&subcat=The+Beehaus

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:54:18 am »
We bought a nucleus in 2009 which started off well but we lost them that winter. It was a real disappointment especially as they were very good tempered. We tried to get another lot in 2010 but were told the volcanic ash delayed the transport of queens and then it became too late. I can't wait for some more, the hive looks sad standing empty, but as we are going to be away for 6 months this year have decided to put it on hold.  When we return home and get our smallholding bees will certainly be on our list.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:11:52 am »
next year is the year iv planned to think about starting with bees, so will be reading what u all write!
before then, i have to finish the fencing (taking forever!!), last year we planted loads of wild flowers, which coincided with our first crop of plums, (after 6 years of nothing). also need to plant wild flowers in all our orchards before we get any bees. i know the site where im gona keep them so hope it b reality and not just a dream in a couple of years time. we planted alot of phaecelia,borage etc last year and had enormous amounts of bumble bees. not sure if that will regrow this year on its own.

worldsend

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:21:42 pm »
 Opened my three hives at the weekend to give some fondant.  Live bees in three hives !!
First winter so very nervous

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:43:57 pm »
Hello
I am hoping to get Bees this year, can you recommend a good book that I can get from the library?

Sarah

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 01:31:44 am »
Bees at the Bottom of the Garden.  Very user friendly and solid information

but DON'T buy anything without contacting your local beekeeping association.  Look for secretary at the BBKA website.  Beekeepng is not straightforward, the bees haven't read the book and you need friends with experience.  Our local assoc runs beginners courses based around a BBKA syllabus and then provides a mentoring service.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 01:54:40 pm »
Agreed, 'Bees at the Bottom of the Garden' is a very good beginners book. Easy to follow and not too complicated, it's one of the first books I bought (I have it in front of me now). It's by Alan Campion (ISBN: 0-7136-2433-7).

I recommend anyone starting out with bees to contact their local beekeeping association. They give lots of advice, you will be able to get some hands on practice before you get your own bees, and you will have a much better idea of what you are looking for/at.

With regard to feeding at this time of year, it depends on how much stores the bees have left. I don't know where you are or what forage you have around you, but if you get a warmer sunny day take a quick look, if stores are low pop a feeder in there. I feed sugar syrup, but that's because it's what I always have available.

'Once a beekeeper, always a beekeeper'

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »
whats ways can u improve ur farm before the bees arrive? im a few years away yet.
i would like to get more gorse to grow in the right places(ie hedge) but never managed to transplant it, i love the smell. but had to cut alot back as growing in wrong place.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:43:23 pm »
whats ways can u improve ur farm before the bees arrive?

Look after the wildlife and bees that already visit. Try not to use chemicals, keep as much grass and hedgerow as uncut as possible to let the clover grow and the blossom bloom. Plant meadowflower seed and fruit trees.

And remember that any mature ivy you might have clambering up walls is a good source of late forage - and a bird bath offers a handy place for a bee to take water from.

In the meantime, you can also buy little nest kits that encourage solitary bees to take up home in them.

:)

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 03:51:29 pm »
sycamore or plain trees are also good either for wild bees or hive bees lime/cherry in fact anything that flowers

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 05:05:57 pm »
im sure i saw an advert for correspondance bee keeping course - has anyone tried it - name escapes me at moment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS