Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of Open a Farm shop...IDEAS NEEDED PLEASE!!!!!  (Read 21741 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Thinking of Open a Farm shop...IDEAS NEEDED PLEASE!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:04 am »
We have a very successful farm shop near us, they started off with a yearly second hand book sale about 10 years ago that grew and grew, now they have just built a lovely big shop with a cafe etc, they have a map of all the local produce they sell, honey, jams, cakes, soaps etc all bought in from the surrounding villiages, they hold various events through the year, open days, demo days, nativity evening etc, they have freezers full of home cooked food made on the premises, as well as thier own meat, eggs and veg, i guess you are only limited by your imagination. But I would say that local produce is the most important for me, there are lots of people out there making/growing things that would love an outlet opportunity. Good luck in your venture

shelby3mccoy

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »
JarmFarm you can add dairy products to your list, there will be a huge demand of milk, cheese, curd, butter etc so it will be really good for you to offer them.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 01:31:04 pm »
The one near us does a weekly veg box at a very reasonable price, you can actually see much of their produce is growing outside the shop which I like. They support local small businesses so all the meat comes from local cattle/pig/chicken owners. THe lady who owns it makes her own cakes, chutney's jams... and they buy in fudge made from a local fudge maker. Oh...and they sell my soap  ;)

The couple who own it are well known in the surrounding villages as they are at fetes/village shows etc and they always support school raffles with lovely prizes.

I think if they started importing fancy stuff from abroad I'd be less inclined to shop there, except they are friends now so I know I still would but I know what I mean, lol. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:48 pm »
Wow, lots of good ideas here, as a 'consumer' particularly like the ideas of local produce (inc LOCAL honey), fresh fruit and veg, free range eggs (inc duck eggs), tea shop (home baked cakes), decent none factory produced chutneys and second hand books (farming / craft / cookery / gardening etc) for sale (away from the food though and closer to the till so books are looked at on way out after any food produce handled, not the other way around).

I wouldn't be much of a customer as I have/make 'all of the above' myself but so many people don't have the time or knowhow.

:farmer:

Cor, I've got an empty farm building right by the road.....  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 06:50:47 pm »
Just think about how much time you have spare to run a shop (alongside a smalholding with/without livestock, veg/fruit garden/polytunnel), and how much it would cost to employ someone/do the paperwork/man the till?

But if you have the space and are local to one/several small towns - having meeting room space for local groups, like for example garden/horticultural/crafty groups like spinners/knitters etc would also possibly create some customers. A cafe is a must though!

Sandy

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:19 am »
I love farm shops! WHen you go for a day out  you want ! something to buy thats reasonable and a bit different, maybe local, a gift thats a bit crafty and I go for local, again... a cuppa and a cake thats nice, a clean bog with nice smelly soap and parking.I love farm shops!!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 01:10:56 pm »
You lot are all spoilt farm shops over here are nothing like any you have described. Generally they are much more basic no coffee shop or toilets just simple produce sold direct from the producer with maybe a few other local products thrown in for a little variety.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 09:42:52 am »
Have not seen any farm shops here, dont think its a concept known to the Bretons.  Lots of buy at the gate though, eggs, pork, beef not cheap and very popular.

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 11:26:33 am »
have a look at

www.churchfarm.org.uk

www.claremontfarm.co.uk

another idea but it has grown more like a feed store

www.lartonlivery.com

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 04:33:30 pm »
have a look at

www.churchfarm.org.uk

www.claremontfarm.co.uk

another idea but it has grown more like a feed store

www.lartonlivery.com

Great links there scattybiker.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS