Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf, weaning and mastitis question.  (Read 1634 times)

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
    • Valkyrie Craft: Handmade Canoes and Kayaks
Orf, weaning and mastitis question.
« on: June 09, 2024, 11:40:02 am »
Advice on handling Orf in my flock please.

This morning I checked the flock (7 ewes and 14 lambs) having been away for three days.  A good number of the lambs have what I believe to be Orf.  I did not see any sign of it prior to going away.

I have never had Orf in my sheep (this is my fourth year with them).

They have a rim of scab along their lips, to varying degrees.  They are in a field which has no holing pen and lots of trees so it is hard for me to gather them for a good inspection to be more precise on numbers of infections.

The lambs range in age from 9 weeks to 14 weeks.  I have previously effectively left weaning to nature but wonder if it would be wise to move to weaning now - I understand Orf can end up with ewes with infected teats and potential mastitis.

I have potential for moving the lambs into an isolated field for a few days (to start weaning) but it runs adjacent to the field the sheep would then be.

Any suggestions?

None of the flock are housed at any stage.
They are fed every two days with a mix of pellets, garlic, seaweed and diatomite - fed from a communal galvanized trough
I had planned to shear the ewes this week (but am hesitant now - not wanting Orf myself!)  At this stage I have not found it on any of the ewes but have not penned them for a closer check yet.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 11:41:46 am by JFW67 »
Mistakes teach best.  😳🙄😉

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Orf, weaning and mastitis question.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 12:38:35 pm »
Have a look at buying salt licks , Himalayan rock or similar  . Have a look at Dennis Brinicombe    Tubby buckets  , if you look there are loads of  cures for orf on the net  but all involve catching and touching the mouth area  , best just  try salt and tubby and let it run its course Except if it becomes really bad  eg swollen and bleeding  then speak to your vet .   You will be fine clipping your ewes ,wear thin gloves if really worried  and you can inspect their teats for any scabs or sores which you can treat with spray from the vet . As to weaning its not ideal to have them next to each other plus the ewes will go for the salt & tubby and teach the lambs faster than the lambs on their own
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 12:41:30 pm by shep53 »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Orf, weaning and mastitis question.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 04:30:08 pm »
Brinnicombe Frobut buckets are great for drying up sores. I would stop feeding them, it will spread infection earlier. Normally we just let it run its course, but be aware you’ll probably have it every year now. The sheep/lambs infected now should have some immunity next year, but obviously next years lambs will be naive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS