Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac and ovivac  (Read 1566 times)

Advertisement

Mrs Mccoy

• Joined Oct 2020
Heptavac and ovivac
« on: February 24, 2024, 09:05:03 am »
Hi all.
Been a good while since I’ve posted on here.
Last year we couldn’t get hold of heptavac P so had to vaccinate all our lambs with ovivac  instead. This year we have managed to get hep p and wanted to know whether we can just boost last years lambs with one jab or will need to give them 2 ?
Thanks in anticipation

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Heptavac and ovivac
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 10:45:27 am »
Yes they need 2 injections 4-6 weeks apart  , Ovivac is a 4 in 1 &  Heptavac  is a 7 in 1  most importantly containing protection for lamb dysentry  which is important if you are going to breed from them , if they are only pets then Ovivac p is fine

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 08:33:54 pm »
Interested in this. We are just lambing now and not previously heptavac’d.

Should/could I do the same and dose lambs with ovivac? Same as lambi vac?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 09:34:18 am »
So  Lambivac is a 4 in 1  _  Tetanus  /   Struck /  Pulpy kidney  /  Lamb dysentery  and  seems to come in 50ml bottles   , recommended  to inject non immunised lambs at 3 weeks old and do twice 4 to 6 wks apart .  My only comment would be that in lambs for meat the lamb dysentery portion would be of no benefit as the time of infection is in the first days after being born  . Ovivac  p  is a 4 in 1  plus Pasteurella  _ Tetanus  / Braxy  /  Black leg  /   Pulpy kidney  and seems to come in 100ml bottles   , same recommended  time scale  . More for protection of older lambs

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 05:19:57 pm »
Ok, well some of them are for meat and some of them aren't so I would be ok Ovi vac them all. Does it have to be 3 weeks exactly for each lamb? I have a sdpread over 3-4 weeks and i'll look at dates.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 07:37:19 pm »
Most would wait until the youngest lamb is 3 wks old and do them all together

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 12:02:49 am »
If you’re keeping any of the lambs for breeding Heptavac would be better. I just do all my lambs with Heptavac so that when ewe lambs come into the flock they’re already on the system. Wait till youngest is 3 weeks old and do all at same time.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 08:52:16 am »
Our vet said Heptavac was a lot for a young lamb, and Ovivac P was good to protect the meat lambs, and bridge the gap for the keeping ewe lambs, so they could get their first double dose of Heptavac at a year old, ready for a booster 3 weeks pre-lambing at nearly 2, along with the other in-lamb ewes. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 09:52:12 am »
While i don't want to confuse things ,there are other alternatives   BRAVOXIN  , COVEXIN  these are both multiple clostridial vaccines  eg  10  different diseases against HEPTAVAC  7  , they are often cheaper than HEP but don't protect against pneumonia  . Just providing information as HEP , OVI  ,LAMBI  seem to be always talked about

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS