Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallows '24  (Read 4607 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Swallows '24
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2024, 11:26:02 pm »
If we leave our sash windows too far open then we can guarantee we will have swallows in the house.  One year they started to build a nest on top of the electricity meter so had to be evicted. As we have dogs it's not a good move for birds to come into the house.
One year we had Pooey Dooey (I'm sure I've told this tale on here before!), the racing pigeon.  I was sitting in my living room when I had that creepy feeling of being watched when there was no one else around.  I turned and looked above me to see a pigeon perched contentedly on top of the dresser.  Of course we fed and watered him, he would pop outside for a fly around then return (via the window). Eventually we were able to pick him up and found a phone number stencilled on his wing. In very short order a large black very luxurious BMW pulled up outside.  The owner told me Pooey Dooey was his best racing pigeon, worth a startlingly large amount of money.  He had released the flock as part of a race from I think Newcastle to Glasgow, but they had been attacked and scattered by a peregrine.  Some were killed, and PD appeared to be the only survivor.  He was popped in a cage and driven off in regal splendour.
ps: no, there was no reward.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 11:28:14 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS