Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac / Tetanus help!  (Read 587 times)

Advertisement

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Heptavac / Tetanus help!
« on: February 08, 2024, 08:06:42 pm »
Hi all,

After some advice regarding the initial lamb heptavac doses.

We unexpected had two ewes lamb in October. Luckily ewes were Heptavac'd late last year as we couldn't get hold of any and we gave the lambs their 1st Heptavac at the very end of Nov.

Due to lots going on I've still not done the second (now approx 8/9 weeks in between). Will I have to start the double course again or will the 2nd jab be ok late?

Unfortunately one poor lamb was too difficult to castrate within 7 days so has been done in the past couple of weeks by the vet and has since potentially got tetanus from the would and soil contamination. He's been really poorly but with catching it early and supportive antibiotics / anti-inflammatories from the vets he is making an improvement (hence being late giving the 2nd dose).

Once the little guy is well enough I want to give them all the 2nd dose but will I have to start the double course again or will the 2nd jab be ok late?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Heptavac / Tetanus help!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 08:20:50 pm »
I think you’d probably need to start again to be honest and he’d need to be totally back to normal again after the illness.

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Heptavac / Tetanus help!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 11:21:40 am »
Are these keepers or going for stores or meat, in due course? If so, I'd not bother with heptovac

The price of the smallest bottle is fairly high, comparative to teh price of a store
However, with lambing starting in a few weeks for hill flocks, you might well be able to beg a dose or two from a neighbouring farmer / small holder

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS