Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big ewe not getting on with it  (Read 688 times)

Acornkaz

• Joined Mar 2021
Big ewe not getting on with it
« on: February 05, 2024, 06:59:51 am »
We are lambing 13 Ryeland ewes this year ( had a flock for 5 yrs), 4 all lambed 3x twins 1x single so I have a huge ewe she is uncomfortable she spends a lot of time sitting back end down and stood up on front legs her udder is big her backend looks like it’s been ready for the last few days she is not pushing and I’ve not seen a water bag or nothing I’m wondering if I should investigate and if a lamb is accross the entrance, we have had a couple backwards in previous yrs but we have always had a water bag before we have investigated, I know if they are bum first the ewe does not always feel the urge to push we don’t scan so I don’t know how many she is having usually our ryelands have 1 or 2 we have never had a 3 yet

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Big ewe not getting on with it
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 07:26:38 am »
Sounds like she is just uncomfortable rather than in labour? Normally you’ll have some lambing behaviour even if you don’t have a water bag. But if you have any doubts ring the vet, they can see the ewe, we can’t!

Acornkaz

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 07:54:16 am »
Thanks Twizzel, we bought 3 in lamb ryeland ewes last year, one did not lamb we gave her another year to see and I think it is her I’ve not checked her tag yet but I think if she didn’t lamb last yr she has got rather tubby as ryelands do so I’ll keep an eye on her it’s our first yr with a camera on them used to keep going out to the shed every couple of hours so perhaps also observing more behaviour then I would have other years

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 09:48:58 am »
Cameras are great, absolute game changer and yes you become more in tune their behaviour. Good luck  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS