Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural Dewormers  (Read 738 times)

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
Natural Dewormers
« on: January 05, 2024, 07:45:55 pm »
Firstly, I'll preface this by saying I do worm my sheep with chemical dewormers...but I am curious.

I would like to give mine our christmas tree (unsprayed etc) and I have read they are natural dewormers, which timing wise would be lovely.

Does anyone on here offer anything as a natural dewormer in addition to worming?

Not sure I can manage a Christmas tree very often but wondering what options there are.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Natural Dewormers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 08:33:41 am »
Use it if you want to and use FEC instead of routinely worming. Adult sheep build a resistant to worms. But NOT fluke.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 08:49:47 am »
Didn't know Christmas trees were natural dewormers. We've just given our sheep the Christmas tree to nibble on, as I read that sheep apparently love them, but ours have only given it a sniff, they don't seem that interested.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 08:53:45 am »
Use it if you want to and use FEC instead of routinely worming. Adult sheep build a resistant to worms. But NOT fluke.

And not haemonchus, I don’t think?

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 10:06:40 am »
I would endorse the approach to use fec before and after, otherwise, ignore the natural worming element / myth

Our worm management approach over the last few years has been based on FEC and SCOP advice
We have virtually eradicated (too strong a word perhaps) worms in the ewes by reacting to fec and changing the wormer as per advice
We are also fortunate to have Shona as one of our vets who came to see us a few years back to help us develop a worming plan, which seems to work
There's a lass down south who does FEC for £14. She is also a vet, Turn round is very quick

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 05:04:00 pm »
I suppose really I am just asking if anybodies sheep have actually enjoyed Christmas trees as a snack variation. I am not advocating for not doing fec tests or worming.

I am just genuinely curious about natural dewormers that are easily accessible in and amongst our normal routines of FECS and worming.

I did offer the tree to the ewes and one in labour really liked it and had a good nibble, the rest have sort of looked at it and aren't really interested.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS