Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best low maintenece garden hedge?  (Read 1891 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Best low maintenece garden hedge?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2024, 05:22:55 pm »
Do you need to trim your blackthorn, @Bywaters?  If not then perhaps the incidence of foot problems or mouth problems has been so low that it's gone unnoticed.

On our farm, abscesses caused by blackthorn puncture are our major welfare issue.  We have to treat at least one sheep most years, and have had to have a pony put to sleep with an untreatable growth in the jaw where the initial injury was thought by the vet to have been quite likely caused by a blackthorn puncture.

I'm writing this immediately after writing a post about vaccination choices, and it's making me wonder whether blackthorn-induced problems may be more commonly experienced on holdings which do not vaccinate...  :thinking:

We don't vaccinate Sally, but also we don't have any blackthorn as I hold witch trials to root it out  :D .  So no answer there  ;)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 11:17:00 am »
Holly makes a brilliant hedge, slow to get going but then grows well, I have a hedge down the side of the veg garden, great for wildlife too. Good protection for little birds nesting.
Otherwise I'd go for beech, or hornbeam, which grows in a wider variety of soils. I'm going to be digging some old Privet out and planting more beech (mainly because we have lots of self seeded beech  :) )
Lonicera Nitida can send out underground runners, mine struggle to reach 6ft, bushing out rather than growing taller. I have lots to pull out of you are near West Yorkshire or know someone passing through.
I'm another who wouldn't plant blackthorn again, absolute nuisance spreading out from the hedge, not even any doors as compensation  >:( .
Another option would be bamboo, making sure you either get a clumping variety (Fargesia), or put a root barrier down. Advantage is when established you could feed greenery to pigs and other livestock, a great green treat for my goats in winter, and use canes in garden or for projects. Very little maintenance, maybe lifting and dividing if you want more.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2024, 01:02:39 pm »
Another fan of beech here. Holds its leaves over winter, and the new green leaves in Spring are absolutely beautiful. Safe for livestock to nibble on and makes fabulous kindling/firewood too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS