Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Cornwall  (Read 1085 times)

Penghilly

• Joined Dec 2023
Hello from Cornwall
« on: December 09, 2023, 10:19:19 pm »
Hi everyone, very glad we stumbled over this site as it seems very friendly and lots of resources.
We’ve have impulse bought a 1.2 acre site in Cornwall and have fenced off an area for 3 Pygmy goats and put a couple of animal shelters in for them (For some reason it has been a childhood ambition to have a goat!). We have no great munitions for the land other than to use it, sleep over from time to time and have some fun with it as we learn.
We are trying to find resources to find out what we can and can’t do with regard to shelters, storage and  mobile huts etc all for personal use. The internet seems to be a massively confusing resource which has just left us more confused than when we started looking! If anyone can direct me to a user friendly site that helps me understand what we can do that would be massively appreciated!
 :goat:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hello from Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 02:38:24 am »
Sorry you haven't had any replies till now, I hadn't seen this post in my "unreads" before.

:wave: from North Cornwall!

As to what you can and can't have and do, if you're actually plotting to occupy the land (but wisely not saying so ;) ), then Chapter 7's Rural Planning Handbook is the Bible. 

If it is genuinely just a bit of feed and equipment storage etc, then don't do anything permanent (no concrete etc, and use structures which can be moved / towed), don't put things up which will be an eyesore and especially if within 400m of the road or a neighbour, and be mindful of the "max 28 nights per annum" rule for staying over.

The guiding principle is it's not illegal to do something without planning, but if planning is required but not sought, and the planners subsequently investigate and issue an enforcement notice to remove or amend, then you do have to comply with that.   (Sometimes they might ask you to make a retrospective planning application, if they think it's got a fair chance to be granted.)  Planners do not go out looking for problems, but do have to investigate if something is brought to their attention.  So a top tip is to not p*** off the neighbours and make them feel like complaining to the council ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 08:12:07 am »
Hello and welcome to TAS  :wave:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 04:06:03 pm »
What Sally said ! - and also, hello from the Clay Country. 

(There was a temporary extension of the 28 day rule to 56 days - as I type not sure whether that has been revoked.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 04:09:16 pm by arobwk »

Penghilly

• Joined Dec 2023
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 04:08:50 pm »
Hi, and thanks for the advice. We are actually genuinely only looking to do non permanent stuff and stay well within the rules so want to know the rules to play by! That link to Chapter 7 rural planning handbook looks like the best starting point! Thanks to both!
Fin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS