Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Overdue Ewe  (Read 1969 times)

Emily!!!125

• Joined Jun 2021
Overdue Ewe
« on: December 05, 2023, 09:11:42 am »
NOTE- I am assuming she is overdue- i was away for 6 weeks and tup got in.

Got a ewe who has been off her feed for a day now, she has been bagged up for around 8 weeks. She is not a first timer either. This morning she had spat all her cud out, she isn't interested in feed but will stand and walk happily, as in she isn't struggling in that respect. Yesterday she was scouring but this isn't an issue today.

Gave a drench this morning, calci ewe. She has a small amount of coloured discharge, not smelly at all.

Any other suggestions? Could it just be impending labour? Should I intervene re. the lambs?

Have rang the vet for advice but waiting for a call back so just wanted to see if anybody had any ideas on here as the callback seems to be taking forever (I only called this morning but when worried every minute seems forever!)

Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Overdue Ewe
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 11:11:59 am »
How over due is she, when did the ram get in, and when was he removed?

Fully bagged up ready to lamb means lambing is imminent, so has she been gradually drawing up for 8 weeks?

I’d wait for the vet to ring back, maybe get them to look at her if you’re really worried, but don’t put your hand in unless she’s pushing or showing signs of active lambing. It’s hard to give advice without seeing it so your best bet is the vet.

FWIW I’ve never had a ewe go more than 5 days overdue.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 03:29:01 pm »
Lambed yet ??
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 09:30:44 pm by shep53 »

Emily!!!125

• Joined Jun 2021
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 10:36:58 am »
not yet, although put out on nicer grass this morning which she seems to be enjoying more. she definitely isn't right though. still waiting on vet as had an emergency to go to.

yes gradually drawing up for around 8 weeks, but been pretty full last 4/5 i would say.

no idea when ram got in, i was away for 6 weeks with somebody else looking after them, only when they sent me a pic did i realise he was in the background. He removed himself before i returned so it really is a guessing game.

Gave her a calcium drench yesterday and a twin lamb drench this morning to cover all bases however, not convinced it is either of these as she is steady on her feet, pretty alert and moving with the rest.

fingers crossed vet comes today. Just thinking about abortion- would it be obvious? No smells from back end really, slight discharge the other day but nothing unusual.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 12:43:39 pm »
Late gestation abortion would be pretty obvious, normally dark browny pinky discharge. Doesn’t normally smell, sometimes they are off colour but most of the time seem fine- it depends what abortion agent it is as to if the ewe is sick or not.

When did you go away and when did you come back? That would give you rough dates, providing the ram didn’t get in again after you got home.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS