Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pre Lambing Udder  (Read 5676 times)

Emily!!!125

• Joined Jun 2021
Pre Lambing Udder
« on: November 21, 2023, 09:05:09 pm »
Do sheeps teats move their positioning the closer they get to lambing? Do they move to a more outward pointing position? I am sure I read this somewhere but can't find it. I have a ewe who has been bagged up for almost 30 days and just today her teats have moved to pointing more outwardly.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Pre Lambing Udder
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 10:53:39 pm »
Yup, it's called "springing".  It's more pronounced in cattle but happens in sheep too.  The udder becomes more turgid closer to lambing, and the teats ping out more - like blowing up a rubber glove! 

Springing indicates calving or lambing becoming more imminent, probably within 24-48 hours.  A lack of springing does not necessarily mean nothing doing yet ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS