Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disinfecting Lambing Pens  (Read 7255 times)

Bishybarneybee

• Joined Apr 2022
Disinfecting Lambing Pens
« on: November 20, 2023, 05:21:54 pm »
Hi, I'm trying to plan ahead for lambing and would appreciate some advice.

We only have a small flock but will need to re use some of the mothering up pens this time round and I would appreciate any advice on how to disinfect the pens between occupants.

The options I have identified are to spread hydrated lime powder, or powder disinfectant (such as Stalosan) or liquid (spray) disinfectant in the pen, leave for up to 6 hours and then put fresh clean straw on top.

What do others do and are there pros and cons for the different types of disinfectant above?
Thank you

« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 05:25:29 pm by Bishybarneybee »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Disinfecting Lambing Pens
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 05:46:21 pm »
Use a powder as it is quick to do easy to spread using  a small bucket  and no gloves  ,  then straw on top any ready to go in minutes . Hydrated lime is good but i wouldn't want to do it without gloves  ( always used to use this for calf and lambing pens ) and maybe a mask ,  spray as you say needs left to dry a bit  but i've never used it ( always spray the pens before the start of lambing  )

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 05:59:05 pm »
I give everything a good clean and spray with fam30 before lambing, inc hurdles and floors, leave to dry. Then hydrated lime and lots of straw. I don’t have time to use fam inbetween occupants during lambing, so clean out and sweep out pens and more lime and straw. Straw pens every morning, try not to leave ewes and lambs in individual pens for longer than they need to be.

Bishybarneybee

• Joined Apr 2022
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 07:15:59 pm »
Thank you very much for your feedback. I had not come across Fam30 before so will get some to clean and disinfect hurdles and equipment in advance of starting lambing.

Still undecided whether to go for powder disinfectant or hydrated lime for the pens though. I will think on it some more.

Thanks again

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 04:17:52 pm »
I spray all pens, feeding troughs, hay rings everything with Virkon lsp before we start. Then use little straw as possible for bedding & hydrated lime between couples (wear goggle & mask). If something's particularly bad/contagious then I'll muck out and spray but think you do more harm than good if muck out and don't spray.

With no more spectam, beiing clean is top priority.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 09:37:17 am »
When we had a small flock - 15-18 ewes, a pen would get used three times. I never disinfected and never had a problem. Maybe I was lucky. Don't like splashing too many chemicals around.
Ewes vaccinated, lambs iodined and plenty colostrum.

Always cleaned down straight after lambing. Best killers of bugs are sunshine and drought.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 04:41:06 pm »
I jet wash and discinfect and make sure it is aired out inbetween. I am only lambing 12.

I think it depends who is lambing and when. Many people do deep bedding.

That said, I am panicking. My Ryelands look massive lumps and im terrified anything less that a square pen with hurdles the lambs will be squashed.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 05:49:32 pm »
I used 6ft x 6ft pens for my Ryelands

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS