Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horn buds bleed  (Read 4427 times)

brentosmond

• Joined Nov 2023
Horn buds bleed
« on: November 09, 2023, 02:38:43 am »
Hello, Has anyone dealt with this case yet? Currently, there are two sheep in the flock with horn buds, but they are bleeding and there are a lot of flies surrounding them. I have cleaned and treated with iodine but it is only temporary. Any advice and does it have much of an impact on health? Thank

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Horn buds bleed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 10:11:12 am »
Cover with PINE TAR or STOCKHOLM TAR both have antiseptic properties  , stay put and keep flies at bay .  Are you saying that head flies  bit and then the sheep rubbed or scratched the horn buds to make them bleed which attracted more flies so more rubbing etc and so it goes on

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 04:18:36 pm »
Unless you're trying to operate organically, now you know you have issues with horn buds and flies, consider applying crovect or similar to the head of vulnerable lambs as a preventative in future.

In addition :

- use Red Fly traps
- avoid fly havens for lambs during fly season (ie., put them not near natural still water, somewhere open and windswept, ideally no stock fencing or anything they can rub on and damage horn buds)
- watch for cracks in horns and apply stockholm tar before the flies get on it

You can use things like Citronella as fly repellents, but unless you've limited the fly population as above, that won't be nearly enough on its own.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 05:50:12 pm »
We routinely apply Crovect to horn buds and around horn bases when we do regular Crovect applications - every 6 weeks in fly season.  Fly strike is the obvious risk and as it's so easy to prevent using a product such as Crovect, we forget all about Organics and just give the prevention.  We are not registered organic but this is the only instance where we use a chemical of any kind. To my mind it is essential for animal welfare.  We have seen a flock, whose pasture was a tree filled, soggy hollow, where the owner insisted on using vaseline as a preventive  ::)  but had sheep dying, eaten to death by maggots.  By the time we left his property he had 'decided' to use Crovect and stop being a fool.  As you can see, I have very strong opinions when it comes to fly strike.  I appreciate that you [member=227574]brentosmond[/member] don't have fly strike, so you are at the point where you can prevent it.  If your sheep are attracting biting flies they may soon be followed by strikers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS