Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed please!  (Read 3647 times)

wildandwooly

• Joined Feb 2021
Advice needed please!
« on: November 08, 2023, 03:48:23 pm »
Hello All,

I've had 8 Swaledale tups on our lower field that belong to our next door farmer. They've been on for about 3 months and it's a rough pasture 6 acre field. He has now taken them off and I need to move my Shetlands onto it. How long do I need to leave before I can put mine on? I know you have to leave some time between but I can't remember how long as I haven't had to do it before!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Advice needed please!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 06:02:41 pm »
Min 3 weeks for the common foot bugs etc.

But they may well leave worms behind, for which you need either an entire growing season, or take a hay crop off, or cross-graze with another species.  Or just accept you may need to worm your sheep :).

Also footrot and orf will stick around longer too.  But orf would probably be dormant now until spring.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 08:05:06 pm »
If they’ve left resistant worms, then it’ll take a long long time to get rid of them.

Scab can live off the sheep for 17 days, so 3 weeks should be ok

Footrot is roughly 2 weeks

Personally I wouldn’t have someone elses sheep grazing my fields, ever. I would leave it the winter at least to be honest.

wildandwooly

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 10:53:15 pm »
Ok thanks both. Think I'll leave mine where they are and have a serious re think about the farmer using the other field from now on! Mine don't have any worm issues at present and I'd like to keep it that way  ::)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 08:13:15 am »
Ok thanks both. Think I'll leave mine where they are and have a serious re think about the farmer using the other field from now on! Mine don't have any worm issues at present and I'd like to keep it that way  ::)

Unless they zolvix the sheep and house them for 72 hrs prior to putting them on your field, that’s the only way I’d think about it. But your biosecurity has to come first.

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 08:53:49 am »
have you done a fecal egg count recently and do you know what worms yours have ?

What is your worming regime - when were they last wormed and with what ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS