Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Bristol  (Read 13704 times)

KarenFarrell

• Joined Oct 2023
Hello from Bristol
« on: October 30, 2023, 09:55:15 am »
 :wave: Hello
So glad I have found this site. As a family of 5 we are in the process of purchasing our first piece of land, around 6 acres and are hoping to introduce goats, sheep, chickens, ponies and some bees alongside growing fruit and veg. I know that this will be a long process and we are just starting out on this exciting journey so any help or advice on where to start would be very welcome.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Hello from Bristol
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 03:42:22 pm »
Hello and welcome from the wet and gusty Somerset Levels. :wave:

You will find plenty of helpful advice on this website. When we were starting out I found the early diary entries very helpful. I think I managed to read the whole of the first year before we introduced any livestock. It made the whole process much easier, not to mention better for the animals. :pig: :sheep:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 04:25:16 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS. If I can offer one piece of advice it's don't overstock - particularly with the changes in the climate and more extreme weather events We bred sheep for years, alongside cattle - got rid of the sheep about 18 months ago. In wet weather, the sheep stressed me out. We just house the cattle. Much less stressful.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 07:03:20 pm »
Hello and welcome.

My little bit of advice is to split your jobs into the categories of 'dry' and 'wet' days, so wet for inside work and dry for outside. Don't allow yourselves to get sidetracked and work inside when you could be out because those outside days can be few and far between. We found that our 'wet' list was very short and our 'dry' list very long, to the extent that we had to work out in the rain to keep up.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 11:40:24 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:
We all love answering questions here and hearing about your new adventure.  Good Luck :hshoe:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS