Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not sure if this is Orf or not!  (Read 17255 times)

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
Not sure if this is Orf or not!
« on: October 30, 2023, 12:33:40 am »
I have a couple of coloured ryelands that have developed " a poisonous wart on the end of their nose" (so we call them the two Gruffalos!). It is not like any orf I have seen before, these are smooth rather than crusty but cannot find any alternatives. I originally thought it might have been a physical injury, but the second one then appeared so it is obviously transferable.

I'm not prepared to spend £30 or so for my vet to tell me it is orf (or that they haven't a clue!) so looking for opinions. Both animals are otherwise fit and healthy and do not appear to be suffering in any way shape or form.

Thanks in advance

Steve

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Not sure if this is Orf or not!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 05:33:40 am »
Doesn’t look like classic orf lesions. If they’re happy and healthy otherwise I’d just monitor it.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 01:18:26 pm »
Yes probably , treat with one of the many products said to work on the internet , to stop any further spread

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 08:45:06 am »
I'd be inclined to put Himalayan salt lick blocks out and let it runs its course. If it is orf, it doesn't look infected so no need to treat with ABs or topical sprays and it will be over and done in 6-8 weeks. You may wish to disinfect troughs, buckets and gates prior to lambing to minimise the likelihood of recurrence but the virus lives in the soil so its pretty hard (impossible?) to completely eradicate.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 08:55:51 pm »
Orf!

Have just looked at photo and said "Heather had that!" (Original Heather Dorset Down X manx/shetland born here yonks ago, lovely ewe, stayed for about 8 years. Current Heather, is 3/4 Shetland 1/4 Dorset Down, born this year to Climbme. H's this year and Heather was a damn good ewe, so reused the name!)

Anyhow, Heather had a lump like that for a few days then she did get the familiar crusting around the mouth. I've stopped wherriting about Orf, I used to panic and I've had some gruesome cases, Botox  Buffy was bloody awful!

I was also lead to believe "a cold winter will kill the virus!" Well, it were bloody cold here winter 2009 & 2010 when I was lambing and even had snow on the ground, yet I had my big Dorset ewes sporting Rudolph noses and mouths! I could have cried! My lambing pens are wood!

So, red buckets infected ewes, blue buckets none infected. Didn't matter a hoot, ALL lambs got infected as did all ewes that hadnt been exposed! Free from it for a few years after that, then a mild case around 2018, free again......

THEN I bought in "Typhoid Mary" aka Witch the Bitch! In 2021 got some Wiltshire Horns, within days of being here she erupted as did her lambs as did the rest of her little flock! NEVER even touched my flock as they were moved to another premises, but the moment they were brought home again, a few months later and met mine, my none previously infected, suddenly exploded!

Last year when lambing the WH, the Witch developed orf day before, but because they'd all been in the same large pen, was complete waste of time separating them. Again, ALL lambs got it and a few of the mum's got reinfected. Bought some Shetlands & Castle Milks in later in the year, they too bought a strain with them. (Not showing until a couple of days later when the seller contacted me and told me very sorry, hopes I don't get Orf, told her too late.)

Witch went this year, not in lamb!

Yes, orf has done the rounds again this year, but only the lambs!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 10:30:39 pm »
If you know you have it on your farm, Scabivax does work.  It's easy to do, usually only the "at risk" lambs need doing (but when deciding who's "at risk", remember it'll be live on you, your clothes and in the treatment pen after you've done it).  Adult sheep who've lived on the farm a year or two are usually fairly resistant, although an overworked ewe can get it on her teats (leading to mastitis) if her lambs have it and are constantly pulling at her.  (Which is another good reason to vaccinate the lambs, in addition to saving them the discomfort of getting it themselves.  Treating the lambs can save a ewe getting mastitis and potentially getting culled.) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 01:01:37 pm »
Hi, could anyone advise if this is orf??  I've never seen this in 10 years of keeping sheep.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 01:16:21 pm »
Possibly, but also could be cobalt deficiency causing bottle brush lesions on ear and mouth. Give it a good mineral drench and see if it helps.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 01:17:05 pm »
Dermatophilosis  ( bottle brush lesions on mouth and ears )  speak to vet

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 01:45:39 pm »
Thank you, I am waiting for a call from my vet.  I hope it's easy to treat  :fc:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 02:29:32 pm »
I had one like it last winter, penicillin and anti inflammatory sorted it and whilst it looked very unsightly for a while you wouldn’t pick her out now.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2023, 02:44:16 pm »
yes the vet also thinks it is bottle brush lesions, and advised penicillin and just keep an eye on them to ensure it doesn't spread further.  Wet weather can cause this, and it has been very wet here for about 6 weeks.  thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS