Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 6908 times)

jonnygutteridge

• Joined Sep 2023
Introducing myself
« on: September 07, 2023, 11:03:05 pm »
Hi everyone

My name's Jonny but you know that, I really should have picked a more poetic username.

I've joined the forum to make connections and learn more about the business of running a market garden and orchard on sustainable principles. I'm moving over from nearly 30 years of management and consultancy in the charity sector.

Talking of learning, please could someone suggest where I can look for advice about buying manure by the load, especially muck that isn't contaminated with persistent herbicide? (I found this American article which explains the issues).

Looking forward to making some connections,

Jonny Gutteridge

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 11:35:56 pm »
Hello and welcome Jonny.  My first intention was to run a market garden but I was sidetracked by sheep so now I just grow veggies for our own consumption.

For regular supplies of manure, your best option is to team up with a stable run on organic principles, ideally where the horses are bedded on straw not wood chip or sawdust.  Most smallholders use their own manure in their veg patches and have none to spare, especially as it means breaking the cycle of nutrients. Stables are often very keen to be relieved of the problem of what to do with their waste.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jonnygutteridge

• Joined Sep 2023
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 07:58:19 pm »
Thank you for the welcome and the tip.  Once I've secured my plot I'll ring round stables in the area to see if I can find a source.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 08:49:16 pm »
You need to check what hay they use.  A lot of farmers will use a broad-spectrum broadleaved weedkiller on grass that's for hay, and the weedkiller persists in the grass and so is in the hay.  It survives digestion by the horse and composting, and if the composted horse's dung is used in the veg plot, it kills a lot of the broadleaved plants you're trying to grow...  (It's not a problem in FYM spread back on pasture, it doesn't kill grass... 😉)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 10:27:45 pm »
Absolutely Sally, which is why I said 'a stable run on organic principles'.  I should have emphasised that more, so thank you for your explanation.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 03:17:31 pm »
Welcome to the site. Just helped set up a market garden as a community venture. It’s about half acre makes a couple hundred pounds a week. Ready to scale up with more time!
Mostly, just follow Charles Dowding. Look for free streams of resources, pallets for building, wood chip and sawdust from tree surgeons, cardboard from shops that handle big items like bikes or furniture.
Think about water collection, storage and how you can  organise automatic watering on timers.
Cae tan do a great online course instruction into market gardening.
All the best with it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS