Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: damsels & dragons  (Read 889 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
damsels & dragons
« on: September 04, 2023, 05:06:08 pm »
Just to share my delight at seeing so many damsel and dragon flies today in the centre of Cornwall's City.  We have the Fal running through the heart of Truro and the leats (various other channelled water streams).  I was loitering while the car was being re-shod and the waters were "covered" with damsels and dragons.  The damsels were both iridescent blue and copper coloured. The dragons were just too quick for me to really offer a description/s although body-stripiness was apparent. The 2 hours (!!!) that if took for my Dacia Duster to be reshod passed-by pleasantly enough with the addition of trout-watching. (The trout were not very big, but they were there and finding stuff to prey on on the surface !)

[Tyres:  I've gone for remould Insa Turbo Rangers this time round. I have noticed already a bit more road noise, but nothing that the radio cannot obscure. I'm hoping they will offer a bit more grip when the going gets slippery on the Fields.]

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 05:09:08 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: damsels & dragons
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 09:55:10 pm »
This is currently my favourite topic  :love: .  We had lots and lots of Damselflies earlier this year in our pond, then a few weeks ago the Dragons started to appear: Emperors, male and female Southern Darters (the orangey ones you saw are probably male S Darters) and some large speckledy ones I've forgotten the names of (one of which laid a large number of eggs). The Emperors are green and enormous  8)  like a flying boot scraper  :o
Our pond was originally a koi pond but our large Koi were frozen before Christmas which meant there were no fish to predate larvae over winter.  We have put in new Koi and Goldfish this year but I think Damsel and Dragon numbers will be high enough now to keep larva numbers up.
One year we saw a Dragongfly nymph carrying a small froglet, amazing sight.
There is a second pond where the Damsel and Dragonflies have been laying eggs too, which has minnows in, so larvae and nymphs should be safe there

What a splendid sight you enjoyed [member=152775]arobwk[/member] in the centre of a city too  :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS