Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shwmae/Hello.  (Read 4279 times)

Girlfrompembs

• Joined Aug 2023
Shwmae/Hello.
« on: August 29, 2023, 10:32:33 am »
Hi everyone,
👋👋
I’m very new here and very new to samllholding. In fact, I don’t even have any land yet!
I’m posting here in the hope someone can advise me slightly, I’m looking at a pasture field but it’s on top of some cliffs, the next “fields” down from it are coastal slope. So, the edge of the world.
Is this viable? Will the wind simply blow down all my crops? I have visited the site but only on a nice day so far, just to check soil depth etc.
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, if it is could someone show me to the “rose tinted noob” threads please  😂

horihori

• Joined Jun 2023
Re: Shwmae/Hello.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 09:58:00 am »
I am not an expert but the idea of starting out trying to grow in a place with high winds carrying salt water, on land that may be at risk of falling into the sea at the best of times, never mind with potential sea-level rise... It's just not worth it. Aside from the added difficulty in growing in that environment, even though the land may not be directly affected in our lifetimes, it's not unlikely it'll lose value through that added risk. When I was looking for a site I used this tool to rule out any that could be a future flood risk (it only works by elevation and won't show erosion risks).

Girlfrompembs

• Joined Aug 2023
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 02:59:56 pm »
Thank you so much. There are probably more suitable sites if I’m patient.
I knew I’d view it and fall in love! Needed the sensible view. I think you’re right, with the wind and salt I may be fighting a losing battle. I guess if it worked more people would be doing it!
It’s a fair distance set back in terms of erosion risk and very high up in terms of flood risk but I think just the wind and salt alone could be the problem.
Thanks again for your reply.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 04:19:56 pm »
Doesn't sound like arable land.  Look around at the surrounding land.  Grazed close (or mowed and hay taken)  and/or has sheep on?  Or stubble fields where crops have been taken off?  If the latter, you may be in with a chance.  If nothing but scrub and livestock, it'll not be the best growing land.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Girlfrompembs

• Joined Aug 2023
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 04:33:55 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Yep, it’s had hay cut off it. It’s a lot nicer and greener than the surrounding fields, but I think it’s just been well managed grazing land! Surrounding fields are pretty much scrub. I’m turning my sights inland now, thanks for your response.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS