Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs being thrifty  (Read 12483 times)

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
Lambs being thrifty
« on: August 26, 2023, 08:56:54 pm »
Hi

Got 3 Cades in my flock.

They weren’t wormed, thought I’d see how they go and worn as needed.

Been fine, cracking lambs,  last couple of days bad scours/diarrhoea.

Wormed/fluked yesterday but today one looks depressed and the other one is definitely lagging behind the flock.

I’ve put some hay out for them for some fibre. Is there anything else I can do for them?

Bit more bucket feed?

I had a feel of the little one and he feels to be losing condition as his back felt bony.

How long should I expect them to turn around in?

Is there anything else I can give them food wise?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lambs being thrifty
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 09:09:38 pm »
Get a worm egg count done before you treat next time. It normally takes a week to 10 days to pick up and get growing again after a worm or cocci burden.  If they carry on losing weight, get your vet involved.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 09:29:48 pm »
Thanks, yes that was the plan just to do fec counts rather than by rote. They aren’t overstocked and plenty of grass to go at but they graze the bits they like!

How do you do the fec test? Follow them until they poop? It’s incredibly bad, down both their legs. Dagged what I could at the same time.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 09:56:01 pm »
Yes follow them round till they produce a sample, collect up a few fresh, even sized samples from lambs in the group, put in bag/tub/glove, then store in fridge till you can get it to the vet. Most vets do same day results and will advise what to treat with if treatment is necessary.

I would do one this week- tell the vet you’ve dosed and what wormer you used. If it’s worms then you may have resistance, if it’s cocci then wormer is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 10:25:41 pm »
Thanks, will do that.

Hoping they improve slightly tomorrow as today was not great.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 10:53:19 pm »
Fallen down an internet rabbit hole.

Medicated feed for coccidiosis?

Really? I have never seen it, I’d this something that’s generally available in U.K.

Could this be because they’ve not been offered as much hard feed?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 10:35:10 am »
If it is worms then their poo should already be firming up a bit provided the wormer worked , if cocci then they will only get worse until you speak to your vet and get a treatment quickly  ,also ask about re-hydration  (   pinch the skin on a lambs back and hold ,when released in a healthy lamb it goes back to firm and tight , in a dehydrated lamb it stays loose and still pinched ) .  You don't say what age they are ?  the longer they scour the more damage can be done internally

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 10:40:41 am »

Really? I have never seen it, I’d this something that’s generally available in U.K.

It’s on prescription only, and more of a preventative. Also normally only available in large quantities. You can also get medicated buckets which I’ve trialled with a bit of success again in preventing cocci. Normally the treatment for cocci is either vecoxan/dycoxan or tolracol (both are oral drenches)  but your vet needs to diagnose it first before using it. Tolracol is prescription only. Cocci is a nightmare and once you’ve got it, it’s hard to get rid of in subsequent years.

But there are several differentials for scouring and ill thrift so if they aren’t looking any better after the bank holiday I’d get the vet involved. Good luck!

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 06:01:50 pm »

It’s on prescription only, and more of a preventative. Also normally only available in large quantities. You can also get medicated buckets which I’ve trialled with a bit of success again in preventing cocci. Normally the treatment for cocci is either vecoxan/dycoxan or tolracol (both are oral drenches)  but your vet needs to diagnose it first before using it. Tolracol is prescription only. Cocci is a nightmare and once you’ve got it, it’s hard to get rid of in subsequent years.

But there are several differentials for scouring and ill thrift so if they aren’t looking any better after the bank holiday I’d get the vet involved. Good luck!

Hi

They are March/April born lambs.

They had perked up a lot more today, took some feed out in the bucket and they were both bright eyed and ate. I didn't leave feeling worried.

I think i'm definitely going to go down the fec test route on Tuesday and speak to our vets, as going forward I want to be able to do this.

Might look into the buckets at some point if I need to. Really hope this is just a case of lush grass and being a lamb! I just worry.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 07:09:06 pm »
Good to hear that they have improved  ,looks like the wormer worked  :thumbsup:  .   FEC is very easy to do on an individual or flock basis  all you need is a spoon a biro and some freezer bags .                                    twizzel - the first lambs i treated for cocci maybe 1985  i got sulfanilamide powder from the vet mixed it with distilled water and injected it in to the leg muscle which caused some lambs short term lameness  , so like every thing else much easier now
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 10:15:39 am by shep53 »

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 09:36:08 pm »
Brought the lamb in with another, still really runny and only marginally less squirty.

Still bright eyed and eating.

A day grazing and hay on a night in the Mistal has sorted him out.

Firmed right up, so tidied his back end a bit more. Some of those clinkers are going to have to grow a bit more before I can get to them.

I did ring the vet as he does feel very bony on his spine, but now feel happy he’s through the other side of it. Vet said to wait before treating for anything like coccidiosis.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 09:10:32 pm »
Gah.

Just to update the thread.

Kept him grazing, checking daily. Eating,Mars fine but still scouring.

Today properly unsteady and actually fell over (whilst eating nuts still) got him up, stayed up but he is unsteady and losing weight now I’m sure.

Can I worm him again? I really don’t want the vet out again if I can at all help it, but thought I could worn tomorrow, vet Monday!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2023, 10:32:53 pm »
Don’t just worm him again, do a worm egg count and see what is going on, you could be retreating it and just causing wormer resistance if worms aren’t the problem. If it’s going downhill and losing weight you need to get the vet involved.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2023, 08:40:21 am »
On our way to the vet..

So annoyed I haven’t trusted my gut and trusted the vet a week ago.

Will ask about FEC samples going forward as I can’t have this again.

Still looking bright enough which I’m hopeful about.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2023, 05:45:53 pm »
Any further news on your lamb?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS