Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Turkey  (Read 2014 times)

Ajw73

• Joined Aug 2023
Broody Turkey
« on: August 10, 2023, 08:08:23 am »
Hi I’ve got a broody Turkey trying to sit on unfertilised chicken eggs.. should I get her some Turkey eggs? We are in uk and will be going into autumn next month I think it will be too late… would like advice please on how I can stop her she’s not eating much

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Broody Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 06:19:26 pm »
There is obviously no point in her sitting on unfertilised eggs. It is too late in the year to set turkey eggs if you want to eat the offspring at Christmas. But if you just want more turkeys then it's not too late. Turkeys usually lay through till early October so you might be able to source some. But turkey egg incubation period is 28 days so if she has been broody for a while already it is better to try and break her broodiness as she will lose condition.

Remove her from her nest site and put in her in an open but secure pen where she cannot get to her nest. Leave her in there 24/7 with food and water and you should find after about a week she will give up. Does she have other turkeys to keep her company or only chickens? It is better if turkeys can have at least one other turkey for company. It's also better to keep turkeys separate from chickens if you can to reduce the risk of blackhead, especially if you are rearing young turkeys, although mature turkeys cope rather better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS