Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: recommendation for a seed spinner/spreader please.  (Read 9001 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
recommendation for a seed spinner/spreader please.
« on: August 05, 2023, 02:01:12 pm »
We have a 1.5 acre field that we're going to convert from pasture to grow crops for our own use. Could be veg, corn fodder etc. but for a couple of years I'll be putting in green manures to improve the clay soil.

Last spring I hand sowed daikon radish which was only one sack for the area but this autumn I'll be putting forage rye in for the winter, and that's about 10 sacks so I'm thinking of getting a seed spinner to go on the back of our old Massey 135.

Any suggestions of a model that might be suitable? there's everything from chinese made stuff to used farm gear on ebay and I'd rather get a recommendation from someone who's used one.

Thanks.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: recommendation for a seed spinner/spreader please.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 08:09:45 pm »
I'd suggest a Vikon - the right sort of size for your acreage and tractor and you can use it for fertiliser as well. They've been going for years,so you should be able to pick one up fairly cheap. Ours is about 40 years old and still going strong.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
Re: recommendation for a seed spinner/spreader please.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 01:09:49 pm »
Thanks very much, I'll have a look for one of those.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS