Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cash Small Animal Tool  (Read 2324 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Cash Small Animal Tool
« on: July 26, 2023, 03:28:05 pm »
Looking to be more efficient in our poultry processing methods.  We don't kill many, less than 5-10 per year.  Up to now it's just been for ourselves and may continue that way, or we may decide to pass a few on to others (obviously abiding by current regulations).  I would like to stun the poultry to adhere to the HSA guidelines and can see from an article on this site that the Cash Small Animal Tool is recommended, and have seen it online in articles and videos, but not anywhere to buy.

Has anyone used one of these?  Are they still the recommended tool?  And if so, where would you find them to buy? 

Is there something one would recommend over the Cash tool?

Many thanks :)

Julia1521

• Joined Jul 2020
Re: Cash Small Animal Tool
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 08:55:31 pm »
Last year I got my WATOK licence and am now licenced for both electrical stunning and mechanical stunning and slaughter using a Cash Tool. For an electrical stunner or a Cash tool you're going to have to invest £900 - £1000 which is a huge investment for such a small number of birds. They also need regular maintenance. I have also found that Cash Tools are very ineffective on Cockerels because you can't position it in the right place due to their very large combs, so worth considering if it's cockerels you'd be dispatching. They are both very powerful and potentially very dangerous bits of kit... I would really not recommend using either without proper training. Without proper training you're also at risk of not stunning the bird effectively. If you are still interested in either of these methods then I'd highly recommend getting in touch with HSA and booking onto a training course with them which is what I did. They run day courses, there is a theory and practical session where you are taught different methods and how to make sure you stun effectively. If you pass you receive a WATOK licence. But this will also cost you another couple of hundred.

For your set up unless you really want to expand I would recommend just using manual neck dislocation. It's legal and if done correctly a 'humane' method of slaughter. If it's something you've not done before don't practice on a live bird because it's not as easy as it looks, there is a bit of a knack to it. I personally get on best with the 'heavy stick method'. Be careful not to put an pressure on the birds neck while getting into position by standing on your heels then in one fast motion push your feet down and pull the birds feet up towards you. There lots of examples online. You can do large birds this way and don't need to be strong and it's not as technical as the hand held way.

The HSA website has lots of useful information on different methods and also signs of effective stunning which is important whichever method you choose to go for.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS