Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming - Injection v drench  (Read 715 times)

Bishybarneybee

• Joined Apr 2022
Worming - Injection v drench
« on: July 07, 2023, 09:04:40 am »
When worming is needed please could anyone tell me if there are any benefits or drawbacks to using injectable wormers as opposed to the drench wormers?

I've only used the drench type up to now so have no knowledge or experience of the injectables.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Worming - Injection v drench
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 07:11:26 pm »
Injectables are nearly all group 3 clear wormer  ( plus combinations of clear and flukicide ) and  they all  seem to do scab as an extra over worms and bots ,  seem to all have longer withdrawal periods . Have a look at SCOPS know your anthelmintic

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 11:46:49 am »
Be aware that Trodax will leave an unremoveable very persistent dark yellow stain at the injection site.  So if you use or sell your fleeces and/or skins, choose timing and site mindfully ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 06:12:26 pm »
Sally they stopped manufacturing in 2020 and last year it was almost lmpossible to buy if you can find it there is a product  FLUCONIX 340  that is the same if you can find a vet who has imported it . Another great product gone like multi vit &  louping ill vaccine

Bishybarneybee

• Joined Apr 2022
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 08:00:53 am »
Thank you for the information and advice. I hadn't seen the SCOPS leaflet before, it is very helpful.

After consideration I think I will stay with the drench type wormers this year when needed. Thanks again

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 02:27:12 pm »
There's other considerations with some injectables:

1) Injection site can be specified as behind the ear, which can be challenging on most sheep and difficult on ones with horns.
2) Contraindication (incompatabilities with other products) Don't use Cydectin/Zermex 1% LA injectables after Footvaxing  The other way round is fine, as is the higher strength 2%Cycdectin.
3) The longer acting (LA) products can build up worm resistance quickly.  Use them as a last resort.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS