Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Black spots on cooking apples  (Read 4042 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Black spots on cooking apples
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:02 pm »
I seem to have a lot of black spots on the skins of my cookers this year - is it something I should be treating the tree for and if so how and when?  Or is it just a result of the heavy rainfalls we have had?

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Black spots on cooking apples
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:22:12 am »
Do the black spots continue inside as brown soft spots?  I think that is bitter pit which is something to do with a calcium deficiency in the soil, which could well be caused or made worse by the heavy rain.  Or I might be right off the track.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:42:47 am »
The apples I got from my cousin were like that - some of the black spots went under the skin too, and some of them rotted off very quickly - I couldn't cook them for a couple of days so they sat in a big tub till then and I had to throw some out.  We have very clay soil in this area, although Morag has cultivated her garden with lots of manure etc over the years, so that may be a factor.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:52:49 pm »
I seem to have a lot of black spots on the skins of my cookers this year - is it something I should be treating the tree for and if so how and when?  Or is it just a result of the heavy rainfalls we have had?

This is called "Bitter Pit" in apples and is generally a calcium deficieny.  Feed the tree some calcium during the growing season and you find your problem will go away.   Calcium can be found in the form of lime.   Lime allows the soil to become a little alkaline after it has become acidic from the fertiizer you have added to your tree. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS