Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crovect and Clik  (Read 683 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Crovect and Clik
« on: July 02, 2023, 01:27:11 pm »
If I want to use Crovect as a preventative measure against lice and Clik as a preventative measure against blowfly, is that possible without harm to my sheep and if so how long between application? Also just wondered if Crovect is so harmful to our skin, clothes etc does it sting the sheep's skin? Thank you.
4 pet sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Crovect and Clik
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 06:38:52 pm »
Lice tend to be a winter problem and blowfly a summer one  , sheep skin is much thicker than ours             ok after looking around the net the best i can come up with is   human skin   0.5 mm  on the eyelids   to 4mm on the heel  , found a research article that measured  sheep skin  and  had a 3 yr old sheep with 3.5mm over all of the back and 2.5mm on the sides . While looking around i found out that after shearing a sheeps skin triples in thickness and the lanolin rises to keep the sheep warm  , never too old to learn !
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 07:12:13 pm by shep53 »

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 07:52:33 pm »
Thanks for that Shep, very interesting!
4 pet sheep

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 11:33:45 pm »
I think of Clik ( Dicyclanil) as preventative, Crovect (cypermethrin) primarily to treat existing  Yes,cypermethrin will do some protection, but realistically you're more likely to spray reactively when you suspect parasites from sheep behaviour rather than spraying regularly just in case..

The "generic" versions of cypermethrin are cheaper than branded Crovect.   There isn't a generic of Dicyclanil AFAIK.
There are also alphcypermerthin products ("super crovect")

More importantly cypermerthin really only kills existing lice.  Deltamerthin products reduce incidence of lice for a while.

See the SCOPS guidance at https://www.scops.org.uk/workspace/pdfs/product-options-table_2.pdf
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 11:50:59 pm by Badger Nadgers »

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 12:12:53 am »
Thanks for your reply Badger Nadgers. The scops chart is very useful. 😊
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS