Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Curious Lump  (Read 595 times)

Oats

• Joined Nov 2020
Curious Lump
« on: July 01, 2023, 05:05:34 pm »
Hi all,

A curious lump on one of my ewes just down from the chin, it wasn't present at shearing in mid May so likely come on in the last few weeks.
It's about the size of a finger nail whilst being very hard, like a flat pebble, had a little squeeze and nothing happened, but there is a small hole in the centre which I can't explain. She's acting as normal, nothing of concern to report

Any thoughts?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Curious Lump
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 05:40:29 pm »
Looks like a wart?  Cattle get them, I suppose sheep can too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 11:32:55 am »
Has she been vaccinated recently ?  footvax can certainly cause a lump  ?     CLA could be a possibility  hope not

Oats

• Joined Nov 2020
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 07:34:30 am »
haven't had any vaccines since feb (yearly booster). I'm keeping an eye to see if it gets bigger, but at the moment it's completely solid like a stone, the hole in the middle is interesting though like it could be some sort of reaction to a bite?

sheep is fine in herself, if she starts looking sorry or it gets bigger/nastier i'll phone the vet

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 01:55:23 pm »
CLA can be spread on shears.  The hole in the middle is probably a drainage hole.  Keep your fingers crossed that it's not that.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Oats

• Joined Nov 2020
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 03:38:26 pm »
She was sheared by myself although I did have a friend who sheared two of the others (nothing wrong with them), so hopefully less chance it's CLA

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 06:26:15 pm »
It is a curious lump! I've seen similar things after tick bites - but not in sheep.... Could that be?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS