Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hoof concern - injury or infection.  (Read 576 times)

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
    • Valkyrie Craft: Handmade Canoes and Kayaks
Hoof concern - injury or infection.
« on: June 22, 2023, 04:29:44 pm »
Hi All,

One of my ewes has is currently lame.

She has a problem on her front left hoof.  Image attached.
Is cause her pain to press it.  There does not seem to be discharge/puss of any sort and there is no smell.  It is very localised and has not enlarged.

I have treated her with foot bath of zinc with a five day daily soak for 30 minutes and two more on weekly basis.  It seemed to develop a harder surface during the treatment but since stopping the foot bath it has once again softened.  I did also early on use a medical disinfectant and a soft scrubbing brush to clean the area and have also sprayed with iodine a couple of times.

Anyone know what it is and or have any advice.

She is an excellent ewe - twins both years she has lambed and very biddable.
Mistakes teach best.  😳🙄😉

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Hoof concern - injury or infection.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 06:36:50 pm »
She has a Granuloma  ,basically  a wound or injury to the foot  with proud flesh poking through   , so you can ask your vet  how to treat , for me i would put copper sulphate powder or iodine and sugar mixed to  a paste on the wound and then bandage , give a painkiller  and check / repeat every few days  .  Do not trim any of the hoof for now as it will act as a cushion  but when she's healed then a trim would be good to stop dirt /stones getting in the holes

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
    • Valkyrie Craft: Handmade Canoes and Kayaks
Re: Hoof concern - injury or infection.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 07:19:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
I’ll get on with that.  Very relived it’s nothing more sinister!
Mistakes teach best.  😳🙄😉

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS