Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buzzards  (Read 1862 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Buzzards
« on: June 18, 2023, 09:00:00 pm »
When we first came here 27 years ago there was a breeding pair of Buzzards. Over the years their number grew and it was normal to hear them flying above us. Now the sky is silent. None to be seen. I am wondering if they have been wiped out with bird flu as it was so bad around here over the winter.  It is sad if they have all died as seeing them close up was quite amazing.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Buzzards
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 08:18:47 am »
There aren't anywhere near as many down here as there were 5 years ago. Perhaps your bird flu theory is correct, because this are has seen millions of farm birds slaughtered because of flu (chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese). But we still have the red kites?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 05:11:29 pm »
They still seem to be holding-up where I am, but I shall keep an eye-out to confirm (or otherwise) that parents and fledged off-spring are filling the sky over the summer this year.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 08:21:30 pm »
Same here. Plenty of buzzards and kites, despite the awful winter for bird flu in Norfolk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS